When do chickens stop laying eggs?

We mostly have Rhode Island Reds.
My neighbor has a 9 year old RIR named Sonya who lays a big brown egg every other day. :)
E8B4A482-1362-4883-AF30-4935F3C9E990.jpeg

Well, that's golden 🤣 5th degree black belt Tae Kwan know it all.

Edited to add: We're happy to have you. You came to the best place, in my personal opinion. There are some amazing minds here and I'm blessed to learn from them everyday ❤️
I love being here. It is a wealth of knowledge.
And he probably know all about the black belt!!! 😂😂

:confused:

Rudy my 6 year old black sex link still lays 5 eggs a week. Trudy is the same breed and age and averages 6 eggs a week. My California Whites laid very well until I processed them out at age 7. My processor friend said they could have laid for several more years when we were processing. She is very experienced so I trust her judgement there.

Those are all high production breeds/hybrids.

My black Australorps have been consistent layers for 6+ years with a slight decline in number of eggs at age 4. They are a dual purpose breed but still excellent layers.

I have 2 starlight green layers and 2 prairie bluebells that still lay 5-6 eggs a week each. They are 3 or 4 years old now.

My bantam cochins have completely stopped laying at age 8 but did not drop over dead.

Every single one of my birds have been hatchery stock. Nothing special about them at all in that respect.

In my experience chickens live longer than 2 years and do continue to lay well long after that age is reached.

Thank you for the smile at your friend's purported expertise.

You have good answers, above. Birds are highly individual, breed is an important factor. Egg production declines with age.

None of us is as young as we used to be. 'cept that one guy singing...

"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." (
)

You won't know how long they'll lay for, until they stop. Like 2 of my 5 yr olds lay maybe once every 3-4 days during spring/early summer.

But I have younger birds that have called it quits for one reason or another - I have a 1 yr old that's laid maybe 2-3 times, and that's it. A 3 yr old that last laid a lash egg after weeks of nothing, and has not laid again. Another 5 yr old hen last laid at age 3, no known reason as to why she stopped.

Maybe my hens are just old. Having similar problems. I have many different ages. But my two 8 year olds still lay off and on. I dont know how many predators are in your area but when hawks start flying over head and screaming every hen and duck I have run for shelter and their will be no eggs tonight that’s for sure!

Back
Top Bottom