1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do chicks get feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crystal195655, Jan 6, 2012.

1. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    I know it takes several weeks before chickens get feathers, but at what age will they be fully feathered out and able to utilize the chicken run outside? I plan to brood the chicks in the coop, but was not sure how young I should allow them out into the run?

2. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    They usually get most of their feathers around 8-10 weeks old. I usually let mine out around 10 weeks old if the weather is nice. [​IMG]

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    My 6 were hatched 2 weeks ago last Tuesday. Their wings are feathering in pretty good now. A few have gone into my run already. A couple of them are a little more adventurous than the others. They can get out but not back in. So I'm their escalator. Their little down type things are all over inside the coop.

4. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    approximately 8-12 weeks. but there're fast feathering and slow feathering types..

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    depends where you live and how cold it is, and if you have a mother hen if your comfortable without a coat on its probably warm enough for feathered chicks, if your hot without a coat on its probably ok for unfeathered chicks.

6. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My chicks are only 3 wks old and have been in the run from late morning until late afternoon for a few days now, and back in the brooder at night. The weather is hot enough here that I've been wearing singlet and shorts day and night. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:haha lucky you I'm in florida and its freezing, I'll be lucky if its warm enough in 2 weeks to let my babies out.

8. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    My chicks are 2 days old and have small feathers on the end of their wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by