1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

~~ When do chicks need a pole to roost on?~~

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brelansmama, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Just wondering when to put a roost in for my new chickies?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I would put them in as soon as possible, if you can put them low at first so they get the hang of roosting. then move them to their permanant positions in about 3 mo.

AL

3. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two batches of chicks, 3 weeks apart. I put in roosts for them when the oldest group was around 6 weeks old. I put them in their permanent spots, with one higher than another by about a foot. At around 7 weeks some of the older ones started showing interest in them, and now at 11 weeks all the older ones roost at night on the high roosts, just like grown birds. My younger group of chicks is just hitting 8 weeks, and they're still sleeping on the floor.

4. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I've got 2wk and 3wk olds, I put some branches in the brooder this week. They are loving it, though I need to add more, they are playing king of the mtn.

5. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

i have 6 day old chicks right now and one of the RIR's is roosting on one of the roost which is about 2-4 inches off the ground.

Hope this helps

!Shkittles!

6. NOnuggets

NOnuggets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene Idaho
    I second the "as soon as possible." I start with a short roost (about 6 inches long) with a double threaded screw thing in one end. It has a nut and washer and attaches right to the side of the wire. If you don't want to make one, you can probably find them at the pet shop - but parrot sized - chicks have big feet! It is only a couple of inches off of the floor. Once they start using it, I put the full bar in. Ours were all lined up on the roost at about two weeks old! I've raised it to about six inches now (at three weeks)...except for the occasional ***thud*** from one who forgets to hold its head up as it falls asleep (and subsequently falls off) they're all doing great with it. The biggest thing is not to put too small of a diameter in there...Go for it! It is so cute to see them roosting!

7. chellyroo

chellyroo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    South Carolina
    What if your brooder is just a big Rubbermaid tub, like mine?
    [​IMG]

8. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Use short screws with washers and attach a dowel across the width of one end of the tub?

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Mine is just like yours!! Only green.

I have a small box (like 6x6x6") in there on its side so they can get out of the heat or light if they feel like it, and a small piece of trim ~3/4" across diagonal between the feed and the box. I use medical tape or electrical tape to attach it to the box and the feeder. It's not perfectly level, but they don't care.

The only caveat is that the more vigorous kids will get to roosting on the top and eventually leave the tub. I have them in a closed bedroom bath/closet, so it's okay- but I have to have a box on the outside so they can get back in the tub, and I have to make sure our toilet lid is always down...

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Mine rarely have roosted before 12-14weeks. I don't really see it as a problem. Now I just wait until I move them out to the coop at 8-12weeks and don't bother with a roost in the brooder. No one has ever used it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by