When do chicks start going in the coop on their own?

If you close the door to close them in, is that when it gets too hot?
No in the evening it cools off enough for them to be inside. I mean do coop train them like I’ve seen suggested in here to lock them in 24/7 for a week. During the day it’s getting mid 90s here so that’s not possible. I just checked the temps outside and the temp inside the coop (it’s Wi-Fi) it’s currently 85 outside and 81 in the coop. So cooler in there then out. Usually when I check before I go to bed it’s down to mid 70s in there.

I shut my chicks into the coop for about a week before they get to go outside. (All 3 batches of chicks were brooded in the house.) They "know" that's where they sleep, so they go to bed by themselves.

If I go out to shut them in too early, they come back out to see "what is momma doing?" so I've learned to wait until about sunset. That's about 9:20 this time of year.

I shut my chicks into the coop for about a week before they get to go outside. (All 3 batches of chicks were brooded in the house.) They "know" that's where they sleep, so they go to bed by themselves.

If I go out to shut them in too early, they come back out to see "what is momma doing?" so I've learned to wait until about sunset. That's about 9:20 this time of year.
I should try later. I definitely can’t shut them in for an entire week this time of year. There were long periods in the day this past week where the coop (and outside) were 99-100 degrees. Thankfully it cools down inside the coop significantly once the sun begins to set

Update: y’all were right! I checked my camera 10 minutes after my normal time for going out there and they were all in the coop! Just waddled their little butts up there by themselves and put themselves to bed. Im a moron. I was just trying to get them in there too early. What a pleasure to just close the door and walk away instead of playing chase the chickens. Thanks for all the advice!

No in the evening it cools off enough for them to be inside. I mean do coop train them like I’ve seen suggested in here to lock them in 24/7 for a week. During the day it’s getting mid 90s here so that’s not possible. I just checked the temps outside and the temp inside the coop (it’s Wi-Fi) it’s currently 85 outside and 81 in the coop. So cooler in there then out. Usually when I check before I go to bed it’s down to mid 70s in there.
I see your problem solved itself. That’s great.

For future reference, a week is probably excessive. I go two to three days and that usually does it.

I do understand that sometimes weather and coop design can be prohibitive.

Update: y’all were right! I checked my camera 10 minutes after my normal time for going out there and they were all in the coop! Just waddled their little butts up there by themselves and put themselves to bed. Im a moron. I was just trying to get them in there too early. What a pleasure to just close the door and walk away instead of playing chase the chickens. Thanks for all the advice!
It's like chickens were put on this earth to teach us patience. 😅 Maybe all that chasing is what lead them to know where to go, though, so may be it actually was time well spent.

Back
Top Bottom