When do chicks start going in the coop on their own?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Mine are 5-6 weeks old and live in a run attached to a coop. I go out every evening and have to gather them up one by one and put them in the coop (and shut the door each time or else they’ll come out again). Tonight one went in on its own but only after it saw me chasing the others around. They know what I’m doing when I get there in the evening. And the second they get in the coop they happily hop up on the roost for the night. How long before it’s just natural for them? I go out at about 8:30 and sunset is 845. Is it too early?

I know people suggest coop training but it is far too hot to lock them up in there all day. Only solution is to let them live in the run during the day and physically put them in the coop in the evening.

It takes 2 to 3 weeks of repeated nightly prompts to get them to understand that's where they go before dark. You have to be consistent with your action on the hour. Plus there brain are becoming more aware of there owners intentions as they are getting older.

It takes 2 to 3 weeks of repeated nightly prompts to get them to understand that's where they go before dark. You have to be consistent with your action on the hour. Plus there brain are becoming more aware of there owners intentions as they are getting older.
Do you recommend a specific “prompt?” Im not doing anything other than showing up at the same time to chase them in there.

Mine are 5-6 weeks old and live in a run attached to a coop. I go out every evening and have to gather them up one by one and put them in the coop (and shut the door each time or else they’ll come out again). Tonight one went in on its own but only after it saw me chasing the others around. They know what I’m doing when I get there in the evening. And the second they get in the coop they happily hop up on the roost for the night. How long before it’s just natural for them? I go out at about 8:30 and sunset is 845. Is it too early?

I know people suggest coop training but it is far too hot to lock them up in there all day. Only solution is to let them live in the run during the day and physically put them in the coop in the evening.
Could you alter the ventilation so it isn't so hot in the coop? They may also be avoiding going in if it is super hot in there.

Back
Top Bottom