When do chicks start needing grit?

BetsyB0101

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 30, 2011
Southwest Missouri
I have my six week old chicks in little houses outside and they do not have access to the ground. One pen is on concrete and the other one I don't have the pen built around yet so they are just inside at this point. It dawned on me tonight that I remember reading about how important grit is to a chicken and all they have is their feed. Do I need to add grit and at what age should this start, for future reference?
My older chickens free range during the day so I havent worried about this with them.
BetsyB0101

I started giving mine grit at about 2 weeks old. I use the chick grit.

From my understanding, if they're only eating their starter feed & nothing else they don't need grit. But, if they're eating scratch & other grains, some treats & such they need grit.

When I brooded chicks, I gave them grit in the form of simple construction sand when I fed them treats OTHER than yoghurt, scrambled eggs or chopped hard-boiled eggs. When I started giving them peas or mealworms or other treats, I just put a little bit of sand in a small bowl. A bag o' construction (not "play") sand at Lowe's is about 3 or 4 bucks, but that's a 50 lb bag. I saved some to provide during the brooder stage (before they got feet on the ground) and poured the rest of the bag into a very large cat litter tray. This I kept under a raised coop so the flock had grit AND a dry spot to "bathe" regardless of the weather.

Construction sand is the kind that has little sharp bits of gravel and some very small pebbles in it.

If ALL they are eating is the commercial feed, they do not need grit.

I think ours were about 10 days or maybe 2 weeks when I put a dish of dirt from the yard in the coop. They had a ball. Climbed to the top of the pile and kicked it all over the place. And ate some too.

When you start feeding them anything other than chicken feed, they need the grit to help them digest. If you are only feeding them feed, they do not need grit. If you are giving them treats (vegetables and such) make sure they have free access to grit.

My chicks are on the ground and with the momma. She has the ground scratched down to the dirt. I also scatter some of their feed on the ground for them to scratch and get. Do I still need to give them grit. Or will they get enough naturally. I haven't given to many treats. I have given them a little cooked spaghetti and grapes by hand feeding. They are doing good so I am afraid to give them much. They are 3 weeks old. Any advice about the grit ?? Need or Don't need ?

Back
Top Bottom