When do chicks start sleeping through the night?

Ours came yesterday and they went to sleep as soon as we turned out the lights and quieted down. They would awaken with lights turned on or loud noises(It's spring break and we had overnight guests). We are using a red light this year.

Thank goodness I learned on BYC that they sleep the way they do. This am when we got the chicks in the brooder DH said uh oh, that one doesn't look good. I giggled and said it is asleep. So he touched it and up and ran he went.
gig.gif
had I not learned about their weird sleeping here I probably would of thought he was not doing good either. I love watching them fall over, spread out the legs and next chick comes up runs over them and up the first one goes.

I am considering getting a red bulb for our lamp, but they seem to sleep just fine with othe white one we have. they all pile around and snooze. I don't know if they sleep through the night or not, because when I walk into their area, they pop up and squeak at me ("Momma!! treats please!") but they will sleep for a while until one of them decides he wants to get up and peck at all the other ones that have shavings on them. and then they are all up. little stinker
barnie.gif

lol--chicks awaken at the slightest movement. I know you said the shop was heated, but are you using a heat lamp and if so, what color? My chicks rest better with a red bulb than a white. It calms them. I have used both and red is the way to
I have the heating plate, no heat lamp. I have them(3 chicks) in my room in a little house of there’s, can they sleep till i wake up or what? Is it bad for them or no? Because usually by 9 around the time i lay down they’re already under the brooder. And no noise all night. But when i get up to go to the restroom in the middle of the night i always have 1 that has his eyes opened. Not sure if i awaken him or not but end point is if it’s fine to have them with same sleep schedule as me and no light at night or do i change something?

I have the heating plate, no heat lamp. I have them(3 chicks) in my room in a little house of there’s, can they sleep till i wake up or what? Is it bad for them or no? Because usually by 9 around the time i lay down they’re already under the brooder. And no noise all night. But when i get up to go to the restroom in the middle of the night i always have 1 that has his eyes opened. Not sure if i awaken him or not but end point is if it’s fine to have them with same sleep schedule as me and no light at night or do i change something?

I would put them in an adjacent room where they will get natural light. Have fresh food and water ready for them by doing it right at bed time, and they will get up with the morning light and then start their day, usually quietly. Like kids with cereal on Sat morning with cartoons.

I would put them in an adjacent room where they will get natural light. Have fresh food and water ready for them by doing it right at bed time, and they will get up with the morning light and then start their day, usually quietly. Like kids with cereal on Sat morning with cartoons.
Oh yeahi have a window in my room which lets natural light in so yes they do get up early around 6 but don’t start making to much noise till around 7 or 8

I found 8 chicks ,I have free range chickens,and had to take them from there mom,it's freezing here right now,and they were so cold they didn't even try to run from me.only a day old. As I gathered them up, my pockets were getting to full so I put all of them in my beanie and guess where they slept. In my beanie. It's lined inside with short furry stuff.they slept all night long.even when I would check on them ,not a peep.i also have the coolest thing ever ,it's a table that heats up underneath so the chicks go under it like they would there mom. And lights out. Literally. No need for the red lamp as I found that the heat lamp keeps them from knowing night time from day. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is the 3rd year of having to raise baby's and so far this has been the quietest (as opposed to the constant loud peeping from every other time with a constent light on) so during the day ,red lamp ,bed time,beanie and heating table.its adjustable so as they grow you can lift it up.its great.jussayin'.

Back
Top Bottom