When do chicks start to roost?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greenhead, Mar 16, 2009.

1. fpscabs

fpscabs In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Glendora, CA
    Here was one of our little gals sitting at 1 week.
    [​IMG]

2. cwc362

cwc362 Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Quote:Now that's a cute picture!!

3. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Songster

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I put a roost in the larger brooder that I just transfered the chicks to, they are almost 2 weeks old, and they all roost on it, I have a feeder in their that has a peak across the top with about 15 holes on each side, and from day one, they roosted on the top of that and pooped in all of the feeding holes, yuck, so now they use the roost which is right under the main heat source.

4. AmandaS5

AmandaS5 In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2018
    MY
    20180920_202306.jpg
    My chick is 16 days old and sleeps together with her mama on a roost 2 1/2 feet high.

5. AngelaMa

AngelaMa In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2018
    Big Island Hawaii
    Mine (only 2 of them) are just over a month now. The mom got them roosting just this week.

6. AngelaMa

AngelaMa In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2018
    Big Island Hawaii
    My 2 chicks were hopping up on things - the back rail of the BBQ, the top edge of a piece of plexiglass, etc. from probably 2 weeks. They sleep in the carport, and I had a nice "nest” for the mom and them on the floor that the seemed to like, but one eventing I couldn't find them, heard some clucking, and they were up high on the lumber rack roosting. They look really cute - one on each side of mom, one facing forward; one back. They sleep there all night long and have been doing so for several days. My hen is a very good mom, and it has been fun to watch her teach them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: