when do cocks start to crow

macleods14

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
uk
i have been told that i have 2 buff orpington cocks who are about 10 weeks old.

when will they start to try and crow in the mornings

Only time will tell.
I have three cockerels. One started crowing at 8 weeks, one at 13 weeks and the last one at about 20 weeks.

eta They might choose to crow more through out the day then just in the morning. Two of mine crow all day.

Last edited:
I have a SLW cockerel that is about 4 months old, and no crowing yet, but it seems like he's trying. I've always heard it can be around the same time as when the hens first start laying (5-to-5&1/2 months).

Last edited:
Its an individual thing. I've heard of them crowing as early as a few weeks. Personally mine have usually started about 4-5 months or so, just as they are reaching sexual maturity and starting to eye the hens.

My EE "Martok" (his comb looks like a Klingon forehead) started trying when he was about 6 weeks. Sounded like a little gurgle at first. Now he is 8 weeks and not much better at it, but he tries.

Here he is:
2916850118_339c773c78.jpg

I have a BO rooster too. I got him at 4 months and he was already crowing when I got him. So now he is about 6 months and he crows all day long! I don't mind it and no one has complained yet.

My standard blu Cochin roo. is 5 1/2 mo. now and I'm still waiting and wondering when he will crow! He hasn't even tried yet. I just got a mature lrg blu Cochin roos. ( about 1 yr. old) from someone and he crows early AM, and a little during the day, so maybe the other one will learn from him.

I've been wondering the same thing! My sister in law said that she heard one of mine crowing last night, not even 9 weeks old! I am not sure though....

Back
Top Bottom