When do ducklings get their drake feather?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PrinceSandwich, May 29, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I have two White bibbed call ducklings. They are both the same age (5 weeks), but one is bigger and has what looks to be a drake feather coming in. At what age do drake feathers normaly come in?

2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I don't know about Call ducks. My Pekin got his curl at 16 weeks, my mallard got his curl at 9 weeks.

Michelle

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The timing may differ with breeds & individuals. I noticed one of my 8-week-old Pekins is sporting a tiny curled drake feather now, but the other male isn't. Neither do any of the Khaki Campbell drakelets who are the same age. But I could already tell the sex of these ducklings by the sounds they make. The girls are quacking loudly, the boys are only rasping.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    if your sexing ducks, the noise they make is better than the feathers, like its been said, girls quake, boys squeek

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My calls don't get their drake curl till they're older. Like Buck Creek said their voice is a much better indicator at this age.

6. PetDuck

PetDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Cleveland, MS
    I have a black Swedish and I wanted to know when he will get his little drake feathers?
    He is a male but when will he get them?
    He is 7 weeks old.
    Thanks!

~PetDuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by