When do ducklings start sounding different?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Frenchie, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Frenchie

Frenchie In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Dallas
    Hi all, my 2 ducklings are about 4 weeks old I think, they are half feathered, and one is starting to sound different. My one ducky still 'cheep cheeps', but the other little guy is now stRting to quack but it's a low quack, almost like a frog's ribbit....I didn't think their voices changed this early? When their voices start to change, do both females and drakes make the low quack or do I for sure have at least one drake?
    I just think it's odd that one is making a low noise, and the other duckling is still 'cheep cheeping'?
    Btw, I love this site! I have had so many questions answered on here, you guys are the best!

Frenchie, a ducky newbie

2. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    Oh, good question. I hatched 1 duck last Sat and its my first. IDK I hope someone does though.

3. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My 6 baby mallards were fully feathered at 8 weeks and I could tell male from female 3 quacked and 3 didnt...

4. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    some of mine started quacking around three weeks old. You could try picking one up, if it quacks loudly, its a girl! My mature drake definitely sounds like a frog compared the ladies' loud quacking.

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

My runners and swedishes are will be three weeks on Monday. Both of the swedish have begun quacking. Not all the time, but often. I didn't think they started so early either.

6. Frenchie

Frenchie In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Dallas
    Thanks! I just put them up for the night, as I picked each up they both squeaked, I guess the one is just starting to change his sound, they don't like me very much unless I have peas!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: