When do ducklings start to actually like you? 😂

In my case, never may be the answer. All of mine are runner ducks, and I've hand raised every one of them. I think they all spent their early days convinced I was trying to murder them.

I brooded them in clear plastic totes so they could see me approaching, got down on the floor so I wasn't hovering over them, moved slowly and put my hand down on the tote floor so they could investigate it. They were still in mortal fear of me.

As adults, all but one will come up and take food from my hand, but heaven help me if I try to pet or pick up a runner. Maybe it's just the breed or this genetic line; they're all from the same breeder.

I find it interesting that your ducklings aren't scared of your cats. There has been an orange feral cat that occasionally wanders around the property, and none of my ducks, chickens or geese pay any attention. I think it's odd. An overhead raptor (including bald eagles) throws everyone into a tizzy, but this feline intruder doesn't get a second glance.

In my case, never may be the answer. All of mine are runner ducks, and I've hand raised every one of them. I think they all spent their early days convinced I was trying to murder them.

I brooded them in clear plastic totes so they could see me approaching, got down on the floor so I wasn't hovering over them, moved slowly and put my hand down on the tote floor so they could investigate it. They were still in mortal fear of me.

As adults, all but one will come up and take food from my hand, but heaven help me if I try to pet or pick up a runner. Maybe it's just the breed or this genetic line; they're all from the same breeder.

I find it interesting that your ducklings aren't scared of your cats. There has been an orange feral cat that occasionally wanders around the property, and none of my ducks, chickens or geese pay any attention. I think it's odd. An overhead raptor (including bald eagles) throws everyone into a tizzy, but this feline intruder doesn't get a second glance.
My cats lay on top of the brooder watching them and ducklings just go about their day like nothings there. I walk over the squeak and run under there heat pad 😂
Hopefully they'll get used to us alitte bit more soon, it's still very early but they're already to fast for me to catch when cleaning.

I have 3 5day old ducklings and they are absolutely terrified of me.
I've only had experiences with older ducks and I guess I had this silly idea the ducklings would be all trusting 🤦🏽‍♀️
Any advice to ease their fear? Or know what sort of age they become less frightened?

P.s they some reason aren't scared of my cats
In my experience it has a lot to do with how much time you spend with them- as of now, do you sit with them and just let them grow used to you?
Both of my girls knew me the minute they hatched, and before even that- and I spend so much time keeping their trust- They've never been scared of me. I can lean over them, kiss them on their heads, pick em up, and they rarely even waddle away-
However they are a friendly breed and as I say, I've been there all along.
Now, they're familiar with other people too, but dislike others. If my family members reach for them, they're afraid, they only like them if they bring treats! Which is why I believe the key to bonding with them is time.
I would sit close to their food source, and simply read a book or scroll through an app on your phone, just pass the time until they're comfortable coming closer to you- and I would do this every day until they're confident, eventually taking food from your hand.

Do you ever bring them out for supervised swim time? At this age, they love having a go in the bath tub, a few inches of warm comfortable water, supervised and only for a few minutes. They will need drying gently after with a paper towel or towel so they don't get cold, and putting in the warmth of the brooder afterwards. Doing things like this may help them get used to you, even though it may be a challenge catching them at first!

Last edited:
breed doesn’t really doesn’t matter too much for friendliness, it’s all about how they are raised. i spent all day with mine when they were babies so they imprinted to me and are always following me around. we also socialized them with as many people as possible. with all my ducks, i’ve started bringing them everywhere with me the day i brought them home. even easy places like a coffee shop or the park is a great place for them to get attention from lots of people, just always call ahead to make sure the place is pet friendly of course

Back
Top Bottom