When do ducks molt?

duckman4450

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
My hen house mallard is 19 months old and hasn't lost any of her original adult feathers. A few here and there from picking, but I mean nothing major. The problem is a ton of her feathers are ripped and in bad shape, including wing feathers so she has a hard time staying in the air when she flies. She has also become a lot less waterproof, she gets quite wet and heavy when she goes into water. She is also laying pretty much an egg every day if that matters at all. Should I be expecting a molt this summer?

Last edited:
I think so, yes. My Runners molt at odd intervals - I had three or four of them molt just last month. In sub sub freezing temps outdoors - glad I keep their shelter above 40˚F.

I think so, yes.  My Runners molt at odd intervals - I had three or four of them molt just last month.  In sub sub freezing temps outdoors - glad I keep their shelter above 40˚F.

Ok, great. She really needs new feathers. They were beautiful when she was young and first got them, but now they are dull and broken. Her outdoor shelter is around 60 and she stays inside for about 16 hours a day.Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom