When do ducks start mating?

I have a drake and a hen mallard and a drake and a hen pekin. I know this is not ideal but it's what I ended up with. I'm not sure what to do. I dont' want over mating going on. So, there is a duck lady somewhere around morgantown wv I was wondering if maybe I should see if she would trade me the mallards for two more pekin hens. What do you think?

I have a male mallard and a female pekin. We got them in mid April, it's now end of July, their only 3.5 months old. Our Male mounts him self on the females back and shakes back and fourth. Our female will lay head down bottom up, almost looking like she has a weak neck,her eyes wide open and mumbles a fast quack quack quack. Our male will come running to her almost every time. Several times a day. Some he presses his beak into her mid back area. Steping on her back then walking off, other times standing on her back looking lost, however he is very accurate on location. Lol however never have we noticed his penis out during, or after he walks or swims off of her.
Is this age to young? Is the male doing these strange positions cause he is not mature just yet? Is my females actions normal to lay flat,bottom up and out and her private area wide open and relaxed looking?

She has not laid any eggs yet as I have read shes to young still.. With our male doing this can it hurt her?

Last edited:
Mashallaharabia - thanks for speaking to your Pekin's laying habits, I've been asking about the Pekin laying season around here to no avail. So it's true I guess, that Pekins don't really go broody at all? Or would that change if you had a Pekin drake?

Hennible - I wouldn't worry too much. My Pekins started laying right around the 6 month mark. Make sure they are eating layers feed - so they are getting enough calcium and protein. If you still don't have any eggs in a week or so, I'd try messing with their light and/or temperature, as I've read those are big factors.

Currently the are outside ( penned day and night, they choose not to leave the pen) so nature dictates the temp etc. it makes sense the fall like conditions would prevent breeding behaviour. On layer feed with oyster shell available to them... Once the moved to the coop what is the usual temp range? and as for light 12-14 hours? Thanks KARy 408

Reviving old post....

We have runners and mallards, 10 weeks old. We have a male mallard and a female runner that have decided to "pair up"... They go through the motions, but at 10 weeks, they can't be actually mating, can they? The female is lost ng feathers in her neck and am trying to figure out how to get him to stop lol... They're just practicing maybe?

Last edited:
I am getting some new snowy call ducks and I am new to the mating/breeding so anyone know when ducks, or more specifically call ducks start mating and if they have a "mating season"? Anything helps
smile.png
I got females in October and they still haven't produced and eggs yet what does that mean because It is now March and still no eggs 😭

Back
Top Bottom