When do ducks start mating?

LoveMagpieCalls

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Northeast Iowa
I am getting some new snowy call ducks and I am new to the mating/breeding so anyone know when ducks, or more specifically call ducks start mating and if they have a "mating season"? Anything helps
smile.png

When not quite a year old. Worth watching; they have a long, corkscrewed penis, grayish-white, about 9" or so for my Muscovies.

For Muscovys, pretty frequently, if you mean mating, and ours lay heavily from around the first of April to the last of October, and start up again in the spring. Right now we get 8 or 9 eggs every day. Our Pekin hen lays one egg every day, year round, even when it was 26 degrees below zero. But she is not at all broody, while the Muscovys sit, hatch, and raise their own young.

For Muscovys, pretty frequently, if you mean mating, and ours lay heavily from around the first of April to the last of October, and start up again in the spring. Right now we get 8 or 9 eggs every day. Our Pekin hen lays one egg every day, year round, even when it was 26 degrees below zero. But she is not at all broody, while the Muscovys sit, hatch, and raise their own young.

If my ducks would mate, would that mean I would never get edible eggs again? Or would I? Lol, is the mating like in humans where they mate and then the female goes off and lays her fertilized aggs and then back to normal or is it for a while they only lay fertile eggs?

Fertilized eggs are perfectly edible! And if you have enough calcium in your duck's diet she can lay eggs without a drake at all, but they would of course not be fertile. Our ducks mate pretty often ( I don't stand out there to see how many times a day,) some of the hens may be laying fertile eggs and some unfertile eggs, doesn't matter, they all taste the same and are equally nutritious. Only matters if you let them sit and incubate, then of course only the fertile ones will hatch.

Fertilized eggs are perfectly edible! And if you have enough calcium in your duck's diet she can lay eggs without a drake at all, but they would of course not be fertile. Our ducks mate pretty often ( I don't stand out there to see how many times a day,) some of the hens may be laying fertile eggs and some unfertile eggs, doesn't matter, they all taste the same and are equally nutritious. Only matters if you let them sit and incubate, then of course only the fertile ones will hatch.
Ok, I understnad now. And isn't that what makes bloddy eggs?

Let the female incubate the egg so that the embryo starts to grow, and given time you'll get blood, feathers, feet, and a beak.
Freshly laid ( or a few days old, just not incubated under a warm mother) eggs are perfectly good eating.

Back
Top Bottom