When do ducks start to lay?

they are old enough..
My muscovys started to breed almost two weeks ago.. no eggs, yet.. but I am sarting towatch them very slosely, because I suspect she might be hiding her eggs.. (id she in fact has started laying) it is still snow covered and cold here.. my geese have gone into high gear this week.. I got 4 for 4 today.. so the ducks should not be far behind..

Mine started laying 3-4 weeks ago, but it is warmer climate here. Yours should be starting any time now. Hope you have them penned up, or it is pretty hard to find them! I wouldn't have known mine were laying if the darned dog hadn't found the nest and brought an egg in the yard to eat later
hmm.png

No, I think they prefer to mate in the water, but it is not a necessity like it is with geese. I have seen mine on land or in the water both.

Hi Ticks. Fellow vermonter. my ducks just started this week so your should be starting soon as well especially if you ahve seen mating taking place. Rouens do not need water to breed but like other have said it is preffered and the fertility is higher I find when they have water available.

Quote:
Thank you for this info
big_smile.png

You are a little farther south than me if I'm correct. I am northern, close to Canada.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom