1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Easter Eggers start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AnnetteinCA, Sep 22, 2009.

1. AnnetteinCA

AnnetteinCA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    Southern California
    Ok, so we can safely say EE's can lay between 20-32 weeks! Boy, I have a long way to wait.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Our four EEs : 3 started in the 24-28 week range and had pink, and blue eggs; but the last one was 32 weeks. We thought she'd never start! However she is our best layer with very large olive green eggs that are produced regularly! She was worth waiting for.

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    As I wrote on the other thread--my one EE started just shy of 4 months! the others were sometime before 20 weeks. So be prepared!

4. haleywolter1999

haleywolter1999 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    I just watched my hen lay an egg!!!!! It's only her 10th and she's doing sooo well!!! I am only 13 and I am really eggcited ;) Her name is Lady Bug and started on the 14th!! I am so proud of my baby! She is 30 1/2 weeks old :)

4 people like this.
  5. Feanor

Feanor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Mississippi
    The variation of egg-laying time sounds soooo frustrating! I got five Easter Eggers from Meyer (ordered through My Pet Chicken but I think they came originally from Meyer). They hatched May 23, so almost 23 weeks old now and no eggs yet! They seem to be maturing much slower than my production reds that already have red faces and big wattles and combs (but also not laying yet), whereas my EEs are just barely turning red-faced and their combs and wattles are way less developed. However they are absolutely beautifully feathered girls.

But let's be honest, we get Easter Eggers because we want colorful eggs, so when they take longer to start laying, we go crazy with anticipation [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    I have a 25 week old EE and no eggs yet. [​IMG] Her face and wattles have been very red for over a month but no signs of squatting. My little bantam EE started laying at 22 weeks. I am sooo impatient for a green or blue egg. My bantam EE lays pinkish eggs.

7. chickenwalker

chickenwalker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    Jackson, MI
    I have 3 EE. Two started at 24 wks and the third started five days later. One consistently lays the largest eggs of my nine girls.

8. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    got mine from Murray McMurray and have not yet had a problem. I alwaya get just what I order and any extra are always hens. I have two roos from them now but they where straight run breeds. One is a Cuckoo Maran and they other is a Blue lace red, I will be keeping both roos. I would recommand them to anyone.

9. mydadsjoy

mydadsjoy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    I got mine from Mt. Healthy. We started with 15 pullets. Sold 8. So 7 left. The first began at 21 wks, 2 days. We're now at 26.5 weeks and I have 5 of 7 laying. 1 cream, 2 green, 2 blue! Couldn't be happier!!

1 person likes this.
  10. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    Ok, 27 weeks old and my standard EE just started squatting day before yesterday. I am so eggcited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by