When do fall chicks start to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by warmfuzzies, Sep 28, 2011.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Well, the title pretty much says it. I have never had fall chicks before, and I am hoping to get eggs sometime in the Spring. They are mixed heavy layers, so I don't know what breeds yet. They are coming Friday. I know when they are supposed to star laying as far as age, but I didn't know how much the day length would change that.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We hatch Fall chicks every year from October straight through until June. Here in the south it just makes more sense as the weather is great this time of year for the chicks. We have 2 and 4 week old chicks out in growout pens right now with just a little 85 watt flood light over them. The Fall and Winter months will give your birds a chance to grow so that come Spring time they will be ready age wise to start laying. You will be able to have a full season of laying where everyone else will still be trying to grow out their Spring chicks and they may get a few eggs before their birds go right back into Fall and Winter mode.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I brooded out some RSL last September. They were laying by late January. But, that's an RSL, a notoriously early layer. More likely, I'd look more March, since October is coming fast. Count ahead 22 weeks and you'll be right in the ball park.

4. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Yay! Thanks, just what I was hoping to hear! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by