When do geese start mating?

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
I have searched here and googled with no success. My Pilgrims are just over two months old and I just wondered when they start mating. They are sooo big. Another question is----do both genders honk? One of them started honking when it gets excited. I know pilgrims can be sexed by color but I have one that is white with grey on the bottom rows of the wing feathers and grey on the tail too. Just don't know if it is a male or female yet. Anybody out there with answers? Thanks!

Henry'schickens :

I have searched here and googled with no success. My Pilgrims are just over two months old and I just wondered when they start mating. They are sooo big. Another question is----do both genders honk? One of them started honking when it gets excited. I know pilgrims can be sexed by color but I have one that is white with grey on the bottom rows of the wing feathers and grey on the tail too. Just don't know if it is a male or female yet. Anybody out there with answers? Thanks!

I would not expect effective mating until Early Spring. If the bird you are concerned with is mostly white with a few grey feathers it is probably a gander and don't be surprized if he loses a lot of that grey on the next molt. I was very unhappy with my first pair because the gander had grey markings on the first feathers after down. When they were molted out he looked pure white when he had his wings folded, he had some grey on his back that was covered by the wings.
There is a distinct difference in the sounds made by the different genders but either could be called a honK, I suppose.​

thanks for the response. I had confirmation that I have a gander:( I ordered 2 pairs and ended up with 3 males and one lone lady.

Traditionally they start in the very early spring so that chicks can hatch and survive in the best Temps, natures way.

AL

ROFL!!!
lau.gif
Isn't that always the way of things?!

Back
Top Bottom