Suddenly agressive geese

WillemDL

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2024
I have two geese - not sure what breed, nothing fancy, one is grey and one is white. Initially, when I bought them 2 years ago, they were sold as a pair, but i think they both might be male. I am attaching some photos. I live in Portugal, and spring just sprung.

They used to be quite friendly with me, even though they weren't fans of the rest of the family. However, literally, over the last couple of days they have become quite agressive with me, even going as far as biting me when I opened them up this morning.

I love them dearly. What could be the issue, and how can I resolve it?

Attachments

• IMG-20230131-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230131-WA0005.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 23
Don't take it personally. As Pyxis says, they're overflowing with hormones, making them hyper alert to anything even remotely threatening. My gander will flap his wis wings, then start biting them as if he's under attack. Same thing with his own feet.

What helps me is:
1. Don't escalate. If gander starts making threatening moves, I freeze and talk to him. Sometimes that's enough and he will back down.
2. Distract him. He loves grapes, so I throw some and that may distract him enough. Other times I pick him up, carry him to another location, and lob him. That gives me time to get away.

He returns to his usual self after a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom