When do hens go broody?

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
Hi! This might sound like a stupid question, because I’m sure it’s very different for different hens. I currently have four chickens, my first ever flock. I’ve had a chicken called poppy since he was eight weeks, I got him with others, and I always suspected, just a little suspicion that “she” was a he. I made a thread on this yesterday and every single person was like yep that’s a Cockerel! So I have three little bantam crossbred pullets, and one little Cockerell. Unfortunately I’m not allowed roosters so I can’t keep him. I will rehome him on the farm I got him from. Anyway, in the spring I’m going to get some more chicks, six or eight I think. So that’s the plan for this year, for adding to the flock. So my three pullets are about 26 weeks old, one is only 22 weeks, and not yet laying. One of them, Ebony has recently started squatting so I think she is close to laying. So I was thinking maybe next year most likely I might have a shot at having a broody Mama hatch some eggs. The chickens I have now, I’m not sure exactly how good they would be be at being mamas. Ebony is half silkie, and maybe half Sebright. I know silkies are very good mamas, So I might be able to give her a shot. Then again, the chicks I get this spring will be adults by next spring, and I’m planning to get some breeds like Dutch bantams and silkies that I have heard are good mothers . So my main question is in general, or for pretty good broody breeds such as silkies or Dutch bantams, is there a specific routine for going broody at all, or is it very random? If it is more routine, how long after coming into lay they begin the cycle?

I've had chickens forever and the truth is, there is no rhyme or reason. It just happens. I have 3 hens that are about 3 years old and two of them have only gone broody one time in 3 years, and a 1 year old hen that is currently on a clutch of eggs for the first time ever. I have not real answers. It just happens when they feel the urge.

It’s kinda like humans and baby fever. Especially in my flock. You know you see a baby and you’re like aaawwwwwwwww I want one! I feel like it’s kinda the same in my chickens. I feel like in my experience, broodiness is more common in the spring and summer which is kind of a given but still. I had my austrolorp go broody in the spring and since she hatched her chicks I’ve had a duck go broody and hatch eggs and my polish has recently decided to sit on a clutch. I’ve personally had more broody experiences than some. I’m not sure why that is. I’ve had a RIR that I no longer have go broody twice and hatch both times, a broody silkie, a two broody ducks (one was more dedicated than the other) a broody austrolorp, and most recently a broody polish. I’m all across the board here man XD. Maybe if when you want them to go broody, leave some eggs in the nests? Maybe that’ll encourage them a little?

AHHHH WE HAD THE FIRST EGG TODAY! SO PROUD!
44AC548F-7D0D-4340-9B1B-EF1C30167700.jpeg
EF0E304B-60FC-4801-B651-C790F3DAAA0D.jpeg
2D9D74C1-26A9-4090-B721-C716950B4A3C.jpeg
shes so chill about it lol....

It’s kinda like humans and baby fever. Especially in my flock. You know you see a baby and you’re like aaawwwwwwwww I want one! I feel like it’s kinda the same in my chickens. I feel like in my experience, broodiness is more common in the spring and summer which is kind of a given but still. I had my austrolorp go broody in the spring and since she hatched her chicks I’ve had a duck go broody and hatch eggs and my polish has recently decided to sit on a clutch. I’ve personally had more broody experiences than some. I’m not sure why that is. I’ve had a RIR that I no longer have go broody twice and hatch both times, a broody silkie, a two broody ducks (one was more dedicated than the other) a broody austrolorp, and most recently a broody polish. I’m all across the board here man XD. Maybe if when you want them to go broody, leave some eggs in the nests? Maybe that’ll encourage them a little?
Would some fake eggs work? I don’t really want the eggs to spoil or get cracked, but I made some eggs out of clay that are currently in the nesting boxes to encourage the chickens to lay in there.

Would some fake eggs work? I don’t really want the eggs to spoil or get cracked, but I made some eggs out of clay that are currently in the nesting boxes to encourage the chickens to lay in there.
I don’t see why they wouldn’t. I tend to leave one or two different eggs in the nests since my flock is free ranged and easily abandons nests if they’re completely cleaned out. And the only reason I do leave them is because-for some reason- the lighter colored eggs take a reaaaally long time to go bad so you can leave them in a nest for a while...and we get a ton of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom