When do hens lay again after chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mandelyn, Sep 30, 2009.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I recently acquired a hen and her pullet. Her pullet's age I'm not sure about, full body feathering but has a short tail, still peeps, cries if she can't see her momma.

When hens have chicks, when will they begin laying again?

I've always incubated eggs and only let one of my hens hatch since she was the only one who took it seriously. Can't remember when she started laying again.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    They won't lay while they are raising the baby at all. At least none of mine have. And once I took them away I think it took about 2-3 weeks for them to begin laying again.

3. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

My BO has a nine week old pullet chick, and she just started laying again today. The chick has full body feathering, but still peeps.

Momma stopped clucking over her around a week ago, so I would therefore say it can take around a week.

This is my first time as a broody owner though, so that's just based on this one experience.

4. ChurpyChicken

ChurpyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Buxton/Leek
    Took about a month for 2 of ours

5. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    It depends on the mom around here. I have had them start laying 4 weeks after the chicks hatch - and some take 2 months.

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Well she doesn't seem to care about the chick at all, no broody hen stuff, if I seperate them, it's only the chick that cries. Hen seems to care less.

What time of year do they quit laying all together? I forget that too!

Not that it matters, my rooster is still a virgin so nothing can go in the incubator.

7. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    They should lay eggs year 'round. They will slow in the winter but a light can help to keep production up.

8. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

If hen has stopped mothering, you could expect eggs from her again any day soon.

Unless of course she is taking her winter egg-laying rest, which depends entirely on the breed. Some hybrids will lay daily all year round without a break (our bluebelle doesn't miss a day, even in winter), some purebreeds might stop altogether for weeks. It depends on what type of bird she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by