when do hens start laying eggs and how often

cindipher

Hatching
Jun 23, 2016
We have 12 hens, 6 bardrock and 6 black sexlinks. We're new to this and are just trying to figure things out.

We have 12 hens, 6 bardrock and 6 black sexlinks. We're new to this and are just trying to figure things out.
Hey @cindipher and I am so happy you joined us here at BYC and I would like to say
welcome-byc.gif
!
That is a great question. On average a hen starts laying when she is about 6 months old. This also depends on the size. The bigger the chicken on average the later she will lay. So naturally since Sex Links are smaller than Plymoth Rocks expect them to start laying around 6 months old and Plymoth Rocks sometime after that. If you have any other questions ask us or visit our Learning Center for a bunch of helpful articles here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center I hope I helped you solve your problem and I wish you and your flock the best of luck and I hope you get a bunch of delicious eggs soon!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. 6 months is a good rule of thumb, but it can vary. The frequency of egg-laying depends on the breed, but again, this can vary within breeds.

CT

Thank you all! I was told they are about 4 months old now. I really appreciate the answers

Back
Top Bottom