when do hens start laying eggs and how often

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cindipher, Jun 23, 2016.

1. cindipher

cindipher New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    We have 12 hens, 6 bardrock and 6 black sexlinks. We're new to this and are just trying to figure things out.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    6 months old

3. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Hey @cindipher and I am so happy you joined us here at BYC and I would like to say [​IMG]!
    That is a great question. On average a hen starts laying when she is about 6 months old. This also depends on the size. The bigger the chicken on average the later she will lay. So naturally since Sex Links are smaller than Plymoth Rocks expect them to start laying around 6 months old and Plymoth Rocks sometime after that. If you have any other questions ask us or visit our Learning Center for a bunch of helpful articles here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center I hope I helped you solve your problem and I wish you and your flock the best of luck and I hope you get a bunch of delicious eggs soon!
    Justin [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. 6 months is a good rule of thumb, but it can vary. The frequency of egg-laying depends on the breed, but again, this can vary within breeds.

CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How old are your hens? Black sex links are very good layers once they start going.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    5 to 6 months of age is about average for most breeds. Barred Rocks and black sexlinks lay just about every day. But new layers can be very irregular at first.

8. cindipher

cindipher New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Thank you all! I was told they are about 4 months old now. I really appreciate the answers

9. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Do not mention it I am happy I could help and you should be expecting eggs in a couple months, and I am so excited! If you ever get a egg make sure to post it in our Update forum is you have time
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates
    Have a great rest of the day!
    Justin [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by