1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do I cull my roosters?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenichick, Jul 6, 2007.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I have 26 chickens that are 9 weeks old. I've identified at least 10-14 as roosters for sure. I am keeping 4 roosters (haven't quite decided which 4 yet but have become attached to 3 already). What age do I need to butcher them if we want to eat them, and if so do you fry them or bake them? I'm thinking about posting a freebie for them too. Either way, they are getting quite rowdy and their coop at 10x12 seems crowded to me these days.

Thanks...

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, if they are standard type birds, cull them as young as you are willing to make it worth you time. They won't have much meat on them and if you let them get a fair amount of meat, they are good pretty much for stew. I'd go with 16 weeks to butcher. A small bird but still eatable.

3. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    The mix of birds I've gotten from a friend have all been cooked in liquid as in soup or stew, but they were all at least 4 lbs(?) by the time she had them processed by a local butcher. I like to put them in a large dutch oven with liquid, veggies, salt and parmesan rinds and cook until everything gets soft.

As a side note: If you plan to eat them, I do have one recommendation. I've noticed that those fed with grass and natural "chicken things" like bugs in their diet are far more flavorful (not tender)...and I've heard that eating leaves ups the omega-3's in the meat. The best tasting birds have been free range, but that's not easy for everyone to accomplish.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:Processed by a local butcher, are you kidding or from New York City. Tie it upside down from a branch and cut it's head off, put in a bucket of hot water and pluck the feathers out. As for cookin that would be yoour choice, a skinny chicken is normally fried, a big fat one is normally baked. Never did taste bad chicken. And yes, free range chicken is more favorful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by