When do I dispose of non-developing eggs?

mysterychick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
I candled our 9 shipped eggs yesterday at Day 4.5. 3 out of the 9 had the dark spot and veining and looked great. One showed possibly a blood ring, but I wasn't sure. One had a detached air cell and no development. The remaining 4 had no development. Today I recandled just two of the ones that weren't developed, on day 5.5 and saw the same thing - zero development. I am using a quality candler and they are white Silkie eggs. I would love to give them all the benefit of the doubt. They are under my Silkie hen who is extremely diligently doing her job - no worries there.

When would you recommend I next candle them, and given what I am presently seeing (basically nothing but a yolk) is there any danger to leaving the eggs there? When is the make-or-break time where I need to toss them to be sure the remaining eggs stay good.

Thanks. So you would conclude they are infertile? I have read so many posts about waiting it out and not throwing them until you are sure, but the last thing I want to do is mess up the remaining eggs.

Thanks Birdmanmax. I guess I will wait one more day, candle and then dispose of what I sadly think will be quite a few eggs :(

You could post some pics of the eggs when your candling them and we could try to confirm if they are alive and developing if you'd like just to confirm your thoughts/observations.

You could post some pics of the eggs when your candling them and we could try to confirm if they are alive and developing if you'd like just to confirm your thoughts/observations.

Thanks. I'm actually 100% confident that none of the 6 were developing. This is day 7 in the photos below, and I decided to move them out of her nest day after recandling each that hadn't been developing. By contrast I took a peek yesterday at one of the three developing and on Day 6 it was vibrantly covered with the veins and I could see the little embryo moving around. I'll attach some pictures but I know for sure. I wish there had been something there!

First is definitely a blood ring. I assume the ring is horizontal because the egg has been under my broody hen and not in an incubator:

and the remaining 5 were all I guess not fertile or just didn't ever begin. One definitely had a detached air cell as well. When I rotate them I can clearly see the yolk. This photo doesn't show it but the yolks are very distinct and easy to see on all the non-developed ones:

I think my candler is very good as I could see these eggs this well on Day 4, and can really see the changes in the developing 3. I didn't take photos of the good ones as I am trying desperately to protect them and didn't want to chance anything!

Thank you for the replies. It has already been such a learning curve.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom