when do i pull the "duds"?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aglyphic creatures, Jan 7, 2011.

1. aglyphic creatures

aglyphic creatures Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    PA
    Ok, I apologize for the newbie question....but.....[​IMG]

The eggs went in the 'bator on Christmas Eve at noon. I decided to candle them today just for giggles.....mind you this is not my first time hatching eggs....just the first time I ever tried chicken eggs, lol! So today is day 14 I think....a few of the eggs were very bright, allowing a lot of light through and some were so dark I couldn't see light except at the air bubble. Should I pull the "bright" ones? I honestly can't see anything in them but I hate to pull anything out (I'll question my actions 50 times over!). I wasn't sure if there was a certain point when I should bite the bullet and let them go [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!!

2. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Throw them, If the majority of then eggs seem normal and have movement, the see-through ones should go.

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    I would most definitely throw the clear eggs... I'm surprised they haven't started to weep yet being on day 14.. Wow!

Goddess [​IMG]

4. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    candle at day 10. Remove anything that is clear.. Remove anything that is not fully developed and has a capped air sack.. Read the thread at the top and you will know what to look for..

5. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    Good info folks, as I have the same question. I have looked at the topic on candling, I didn't see mentioned how bright a light you should use. I have a small LED light that seems to illuminate the eggs pretty good, and one egg that was on day 5 only seems to have a shadow of a yolk, no veins etc. But I am not sure the light is bright enough to see that sort of detail. Maybe just wait till day 10 and look for a mass that is moving, and if clear or just a yolk shadow, toss out? Thanks for any help, this is my first hatch attempt.

6. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    I have a similar question about the eggs in my incubator...
    I have 5 groups(eggs collected over 5 days) in the incubator. Most of Group 1(first collection) are impassible to light, but some have 1/4-1/5 of the egg that light passes through. Are these eggs slow in development? "duds"? or runts?

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:First off [​IMG] and then I need to tell you there are no stupid newbie questions. Everyone has to start somewhere, and BYC is the place to be. Go to the index in the incubating forum (this one) the first sticky thread shows the pics from day 1 through hatch and can help you know what you are seeing when candling.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] to you too!!!! I always wait until lockdown to toss eggs unless I see a clear blood ring. At lockdown, if there is not a CLEAR presence of life, it goes.

9. willys_truck

willys_truck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    mississippi
    Candle at day 10 and throw the clears out.

10. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    Still I wonder if you need a super bright light? The LED one I use did illuminate the egg (it lit up) but I could not see any detail. just a yolk shadow I guess. So by day 10 I guess at a minimum I need to see a dark mass? In other words if it's still only got a yolk shadow it's a dud? Sorry I am such a noob, I'm just trying to understand what type of light to use...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by