When do I start regular food?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JReedy72, Apr 17, 2009.

1. JReedy72

JReedy72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Hopewell, VA
    Hello,

My girls are about 7 or 8 weeks old now. When do I take them off the starter and go with "adult" food? I just bought a 50lb bag, so I hope it is a while...lol.[​IMG]

Thanks,

Jason

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    My vote is to always use up what you have first because I'm cheap! But it usually goes starter to about 6wks, grower to 14 then moving to layer. It has to do with the different proportions of protien and then when you get to layer an increase in things like calcium. FYI - if you have roos most of us give them the same feed as the girls at all times.

3. russ_t

russ_t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Taylor, Texas
    The salesman at the feed store tells me to switch at 20 weeks. Were not quite there yet. I have been supplimenting greens for few weeks now and they love em.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Mine stay on starter to week 12; then I switch them over to a formula that slows sexual maturity in pullets so that you do not have egg laying issues later. I leave them on that until they begin to lay.

If you use regular starter feed, leave them on that until they begin to lay; then, switch over to layer feed (making sure to provide oyster shell at that time - not before). Enjoy your babes!

5. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 12 ten-eleven week old chicks and they have been on chick starter. This past week I started mixing, about 50/50, chick starter and grower/finisher. The info on the outside of the bag says to start the grower/finisher at 10 weeks. I figure I will mix the two for about a week and then switch completely over to grower/finisher - unless I get some babies tonight when I ride by TSC and get the pull to see what they have. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by