when do i stop feeding babies 24/7

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
i have done ducklings for past years, and generally feeding them 24 hours a day is a good rule of thumb for the first two weeks.

i have been feeding the chicks i now have (RIR and Brahmas) 24/7 and they are now over 3 weeks old.

for those with EXPERIENCE, when might i stop the 24/7 thing.

i know i could just do what i feel is right, but i just wanted to ask some others. (a wise man takes counsel)

thanks

I offer our chicks food 24/7 until they are out of the brooder. Which depending on the season is around 6-8 weeks. So I'd recommend that as I've yet to own a chick that'll just keep eating until he/she pops.
gig.gif
And they're growing so always provide nutrition.
QP

From hatch to death, I free feed all the time. I always have food in front of them all, be they ducks or chickens. Never heard of rationing feed, they eat what they need in my experience. When they are getting more free range time the food consumption drops considerably.

The exception would be if mice or rats get in at night. In that case, I would take up the feed overnight.

I keep feed available 24/7 from day one up through and including adulthood, although once they get past the lamp stage they don't eat at night ('cause they're sleeping in the dark).
As long as you have a lamp on them, I would have food available. However, once you/they get to the point of being in the dark at night, there's no need for food, since they sleep at night. Of course that's assuming that you're allowing them access to it again once daylight rolls around early the next morning...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom