When do I stop incubation??

Thank you
I have seen several YouTube videos where people recommend these

Can you go candle these eggs right now and get clear pictures of each while candling? In a dark room.
I candled the eggs and one had a sort of double air pocket. We later cracked it open and it was filled with dark mush.
The other had its air pocket on the side of the egg. We also later opened it to find a fully feathered chick inside. Looking back I know I should’ve given them more time. I mean I know the mush one is a goner but could the sideways air sack one have been able to hatch. Since it’s our first time I guess wasn’t paying close enough attention and didn’t really think it was a big deal. But could it have actually made it our that way? What could and should be done in the future?

I candled the eggs and one had a sort of double air pocket. We later cracked it open and it was filled with dark mush.
The other had its air pocket on the side of the egg. We also later opened it to find a fully feathered chick inside. Looking back I know I should’ve given them more time. I mean I know the mush one is a goner but could the sideways air sack one have been able to hatch. Since it’s our first time I guess wasn’t paying close enough attention and didn’t really think it was a big deal. But could it have actually made it our that way? What could and should be done in the future?
That sounds like a saddled air sac, and it's something to look for before beginning incubation, there are steps to take under Shipping (halfway down the page) of this guide: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-incubation.73350/.
I would say, if you didn't notice the feathered chick was alive when you opened it then it was probably gone. Don't be hard on yourself for that. In the future you can look for detached or saddled air sac as soon as you get your eggs, and use those terms in the search on this forum and you will find much discussion on those.
The article says 50% hatch rates are good for shipped eggs, so it sounds like you did very well. Congratulations on your first hatch!

Back
Top Bottom