When do I stop using a Brooder Lamp?

SCOUT123

Songster
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
San Jose, CA
Hello again,
I have 2 two week old RIR's. Every night temperatures get down to about 40 degrees or so
hmm.png
(it's winter xD), so when can i stop using a brooder lamp on them? btw I don't even keep the light on at all times I just heat socks filled with rice and they sleep with that lol

Hello again,
I have 2 two week old RIR's. Every night temperatures get down to about 40 degrees or so :/  (it's winter xD), so when can i stop using a brooder lamp on them? btw I don't even keep the light on at all times I just heat socks filled with rice and they sleep with that lol

Are they indoors? You can stop using a brooder lamp when their feathers are fully grown in, and their bodies can provide a sufficient heat source for themselves. Once they lose all that chick fluff and it's just full feathers, or a tiny bit of fluff, I take out my heat source slowly. I pull it up about 2 or 3 inches every day until you can't feel the heat on the chicks level anymore, and then I just fully take it out. (but I would keep yours in a little longer because of how cold it is)

A great option is to downsize the lamp to a 100w or 60w incandescent bulb. I also like to use a "tabletop lamp dimmer" I got from the home center to adjust the brightness (and therefore heat) of the light bulb.

Are they inside?
They need the lamp 24 hrs a day at this point. 95 degrees week 1 and lower 5 deg each Week after that
The rice socks Just be careful they absorb moisture in the air and are pretty humid ways of adding heat which is why they are good for back or shoulder pain.

Thanks guys xD

And yes, they are indoors. I don't use the brooder lamp on them at all times, but when I'm not using it I have a 60/100 watt lightbulb hanging above them - is that ok?

It is as long as the temps are staying good and they are not huddling to stay warm. You can pick up a chick thermometer at TSC for a couple of dollars and it has the weeks marked at each temp.

Good luck with your new Chicks

When i turn the lamp off they huddle on top of the rice bags to sleep :eek: 

When they huddle together, it means they are cold, so they were huddling against the best heat source. I used to use heat like that, because the light was annoying, but then I bought a red heat lamp, and it was fine. You just hook them right next to each other, and turn them on or off every morning and night, or get a cheap timer to do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom