When Do I Switch Marans to Layer Feed?

I have six Marans pullets who are around 12 weeks old. Apparently they lay three months later than most chickens. When should I switch their feed?
I would switch to a Layers feed when their combs and wattles swell and turn bright red and they squat when you put your hand over them.
Put out a container of Oyster Shells as soon as you see the combs start to turn red.
You could keep them on a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower or an All-Flock/Flock Raiser feed till then.

Myself I keep my 2 different age flocks on a Starter-Grower 18% with Oyster Shells in a separate container. GC

I would switch to a Layers feed when their combs and wattles swell and turn bright red and they squat when you put your hand over them.
This isn't a reliable metric and is very breed dependent. My Barnevelders for example, their combs and wattles turned bright red several months before they started laying. And they started late - at 9 months old. Their combs and wattles remain bright red even when they aren't currently laying - like when broody and raising chicks. They are just permanently deep, bright red. Also, they never squat. Ever. Not all chickens squat. Seeing the first eggs is the most reliable method.

I agree with others who have said that layer feed is not necessary. I've never used it. All flock with calcium on the side is better because it lets the bird decide how much calcium she needs and when. A layer can become a non-layer at any time and for lots of reasons - molting, sickness, injury, broody, taking a break, etc. so her calcium needs change over time. It's best to let her control her calcium intake herself, based on her needs at the moment. She knows those needs better than we do.

I would switch to a Layers feed when their combs and wattles swell

This isn't a reliable metric and is very breed dependent. My Barnevelders for example, their combs and wattles turned bright red
I did include swell.
Put out a container of Oyster Shells as soon as you see the combs start to turn red.
I did say to put out Oyster Shells when they turn RED.
So I know that combs and wattles can turn red weeks before laying.
GC

Back
Top Bottom