1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

when do i switch my incubator off??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rockyandhunny, Jul 3, 2010.

1. rockyandhunny

rockyandhunny Hatching

Jun 7, 2010
    The glens
    [​IMG][​IMG] Hi guys i love this site its like calling 118 lol just post your questions and watch your answers come rolling in [​IMG] I have just hatched [​IMG] my little pekin bantams and my last brood i hatched pekin bantams cross rhode island hybrid and this is what i got.[​IMG]
    My success rate was high with these birds but not with my new hatch the pure breed pekins bantams [​IMG] so this leads me to the question in my thread i live in scotland and someone said to me its time to shut down my incubator [​IMG] at this time of year their is no point in hatching anymore as the hatching rate wont be high as its the wrong time of year now, is this true?[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You can hatch fertile eggs year round.

3. rockyandhunny

rockyandhunny Hatching

Jun 7, 2010
    The glens
    do you get more cockeralls at a certain time of year than hens or is that just a myth? [​IMG]

4. dragonchick

dragonchick Songster

Sep 30, 2007
    I haven't turned mine off. It doesn't use very much electricity at all and once you get it set its best just to leave it, at least thats my way of thinking. This way it will be ready should some more eggs need hatching.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:myth, wives' tales etc etc. The hen genetically determines the sex of the chick...not the temps and not the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: