When do I switch to regular feeed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MattalynsBarn, Jun 17, 2010.

1. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    When do I take the chickens off starter feed?

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I'm planning to take mine off starter as soon as I find the first egg. Mine are 16 weeks, one just practiced the egg song, so it shouldn't be long.

3. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Okay, any idea what the danger is if you leave them on starter feed too long?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:There is none..

If you are using a non-medicated feed you could keep them on it as long as you want. It is best to take your bird off the medicated feed before they start to lay....

Chris

5. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thanks! We got them vaccinated, my friend (who has chickens) said that if you vaccinate them you can't give them medicated food, is this true? I feel like I'm asking a bunch of stupid questions, I just don't know where to find the information for the finer details.

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:you are NOT asking stupid questions. Not asking questions can cause you and your birds great harm. :) with that being said, you do not need to have them on medicated feed if they have been vaccinated.
    I take mine off of starter/grower when they reach anywhere between 16-18 weeks..then I switch them straight to Laying Pellets. if the food is medicated, be sure to take them off of it a couple of weeks before they start to lay. Good Luck with your birds, and oh what kind are they?

7. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thank you for all this help, they're going to be EE's and Sussex's. 5 of each, all female

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    You will have a very nice laying flock...

9. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I hope so! And I hope they're friendly too, They're more pets than anything else

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by