When do imprinted geese lose the need to stick with their 'parents'? (wild-ish greylag geese; also a general LONG update!))

Leraje

Chirping
Jun 4, 2020
TLDR: Biggest question is in bold!

So some background information: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-gosling-mama.1382898/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rst-fall-of-their-hatch.1395932/post-23000615

I'll copy some info from the comment above:

We've got two greylag goslings (now nearing 3 months old) that we found in our village without parents or grownups. At first we thought they might have been someone's pets who got lost, because they literally ran over to us and into our hands when we found them - they seemed way too tame to be wild, and domestic goslings and greylag goslings are very similar.

Looking back, they probably were so young that they imprinted on us (basically as their only chance for rescue) the minute they saw us. Either way, no one came to claim their lost pets and they've grown up to truly be greylag geese, not a domestic goose type.

So anyway, they've definitely imprinted on us during that time. We've been keeping them first in the house, then in the shed, and during the day in the garden. Almost every day we take them to the river wetlands.

We've noticed that they're still very attached to us. Only later we learned that greylag goslings stay with their parents until spring the year after, when the parents get a new nest - and if the previous year's goslings aren't mated, they'll regularly stay with the family group another year. Which is great for them, but not so much for us. Because we live in the middle of our village, have a small garden, and generally speaking this is just not a great place for geese to be. However they're completely uninterested in leaving the garden unless it's with us.

Some more info: Before we were sure of their breed and thought they were domestic, we'd mostly thought we'd move them to my in-laws' farm when they'd grown up. They've had geese before; they have fields where they can keep the geese, so that's fine. They've also got 'semi-wild' fields a bit further off their property with some big ponds, where they could technically also live a lovely life.

However when we realised they were actual wild-born greylag geese, or even since before that time, we've been taking them to the riverside and the wetlands to let them graze there, swim in the river, and since last month for flying practice. (Seeing their progress has been amazing, by the way :)). There's also plenty of greylag geese living in the wetlands/at the river, so we'd kind of hoped they'd some day just wander off and move in with other young greylag geese.

However, since finding these babies we've obviously read a lot and by now we've learned what I said up there: that greylag goslings stay with their parents for a full year. When we got them, we figured that by the time they could fly, they'd be ready to live on their own. But interestingly enough they've been getting more independent up until they started learning how to fly - just before they started being able to take off they got very 'teenager-like' in that they didn't want to come home with us from the river anymore etc, which we then didn't allow because they couldn't fly yet and they might be killed by a fox or cat. But we expected them to want to stay there for good when they could fly. However since they've learned to fly they actually seem more focused on us again? They mostly follow us around, and when they do lag behind when we walk with the dog, they'll eventually fly up and look for us from the air.

So now we have a few options for their future, but none of them seem ideal for them because we aren't there. They can be farm animals, or semi-wild animals with a human checking in regularly, or completely wild animals. But none of those options seem to interest them - they just want to stay in our tiny garden :p

So what we're wondering is basically: from which moment in their lives is it not completely traumatic anymore for goslings to 'lose their parents'? They are fine staying in the garden by themselves during the day (though they do call for us after a couple of hours - that's half for us, and half for feed, as far as I can decipher; and they'll go up to the backdoor (even when we're not home, they'll wait for us there, and if we put the fence up they'll fly over the fence to still wait at the backdoor)).

When we're out in the floodfields and they're too far away, they'll call for us and if we take too long in finding them (or don't bother), they'll fly up and fly to us. They've also done that at my inlaws' farm - flown out of the field to find us, and in that case they did land on the neighbour's property. We could curtail their wings, but I'm pretty averse to that seeing that they're wild geese who I think should fly. (Also they're still learning and I don't want to interfere with their learning process).

We do have the option to either stay over at my in-laws' for a week or two to get them used to that property (if necessary). We can also try easing them into the riverside/wetlands even more - leaving them alone for 5, 10, 20 minutes, then an hour, then half a day, etc. But we're not sure what is wisest.

Oh last thing I might need to add: They are showing increasing interest in the wild greylag geese in the wetlands. They've walked through a big group of geese before (after flying up to them), without much interaction from either side. Today they've actually flown up to a smaller family group and initiated contact. Unfortunately the adults in that group chased them off (about 2 meters, stretched neck), but our geese just sort of kept quite close to the other group. We were about 50 meters away. Eventually I walked a bit closer and the other geese flew up - ours joined them for a round through the air, but whereas the other geese landed together in the river, our two flew back to us (human parents) on the land. But it did lead me to believe they'll at least stick close to wild geese if we would leave them completely alone in the wild. (Also: since we raised them, they're huge, already as big as adult greylag geese though much slimmer. So I'm not really afraid that they wouldn't be able to stand up for themselves in goose pecking order physically. But they really didn't fight back or anything).

I realise that most people here have tame geese, so hopefully a few of you can at least answer me from which point on you could let your imprinted geese alone in the field for a whole day (or who knows a whole week - we'd also love to go on a holiday....) without them panicking and just shouting for you a lot.

(And who knows, someone who knows wild geese might just happen to wander by this topic, too...!)

(And some pictures to show them off, because I'm still a very proud gosling mama).

Attachments

• epicryan.JPG
    epicryan.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 88
  • ryan gosling stones.JPG
    ryan gosling stones.JPG
    824.1 KB · Views: 32
  • ryangosling river.JPG
    ryangosling river.JPG
    601.5 KB · Views: 31
  • weirdryan.jpg
    weirdryan.jpg
    749.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
This was them approaching the wild family group from the left (bad quality, sorry; we were obviously quite far away).

Attachments

• IMG-4147.JPG
    IMG-4147.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 38
The fact that they are showing interest in the wild geese is the best thing for them. The more you can bring them out to them the better I think. The best thing that could happen is if the wild geese get used to them enough to tolerate their presence and the babies get comfortable enough with them to want to stay with them.
I’m not sure what’s better unfortunatly, ripping the bandaid off and leaving them there with the wild flock or attempting to ease them into it. I lean towards the latter but I’ve never been in this situation before. The closest thing I can come to is introducing geese to each other which is usually a gradual process.
The sooner they’re learning to be a goose from the wild geese the better though.

The fact that they are showing interest in the wild geese is the best thing for them. The more you can bring them out to them the better I think. The best thing that could happen is if the wild geese get used to them enough to tolerate their presence and the babies get comfortable enough with them to want to stay with them.
I’m not sure what’s better unfortunatly, ripping the bandaid off and leaving them there with the wild flock or attempting to ease them into it. I lean towards the latter but I’ve never been in this situation before. The closest thing I can come to is introducing geese to each other which is usually a gradual process.
The sooner they’re learning to be a goose from the wild geese the better though.
Yeah that's what we figured as well, hopefully it'll work. I'm at least glad to see that they gravitate towards the wild geese, fly up with them if the group flies up, etc. So they do have an instinct to immitate them, which is great. Today's happenings to make me feel like there's a chance they'll be able to attach themselves to a group somehow or other... though they might be on the periphery until they can find their own mates.

Not many answers yet, maybe people with geese that imprinted on them can give us some insight? At which point could you leave your goslings alone without them panicking?

Because now they fly out of our garden to look for us when we leave them at home, which doesn't seem very safe.

Bump.

Hopefully someone else has some good ideas, this is a tough one for sure.
Yeah hahah had we known this, we would've tried a lot harder to find adoptive goose parents for our babies. As of now I kind of fear that we're stuck with them until next year.

Whelp, unfortunate update.

The goslings have been leaving us alone at the river for longer and longer periods, spending them with other geese. Great, right! They were off for ten minutes, then half an hour, then an hour. (In between if there were no geese closeby, they just stayed with us after flying around).

Then the other day we brought them to the river for a short flight, after which we were going to take them home and we'd leave for the night, family taking care of the geese for our trip.

So for the first time they flew to the other side of the river and didn't come back. Like, after two hours still not. And we had to leave for our overnight trip.

So at night our family went back to check up on them. They were both at our side of the river again, but refused to be caught by our family and instead flew back to a group of geese. So he left them there overnight.

Exciting! First night out in the wild.

Today, back from our trip, we went over there again, to see if they were there waiting for us or still with the other geese or whatever.

However after some looking around and calling them, only one came flying towards us....

I'm so worried. They *never* leave each other. If either they'd stayed away, or both come back, it would be fine. But now we have only one goose with us. And he should not be alone! The other one is either dead (i so hope not :(() or with another group of geese. The latter would be great, but why then did Ryan not stay with them?

Tomorrow we're going back and hopefully either Gosling is there, or Ryan will fly off to be with other geese again. In which case I fear it would be smartest to leave him there. But we had wanted to do it a bit more slowly, and most of all with the two of them together...
:(

I’m sorry for that, the stress and worry must be awful. You’ve done so much for them and you did everything to give them the best chance. Hopefully the other gosling is off with the flock as you said, they’re safer in large groups, all we can do is hope.

Final geese update:

So we went back to the river 3 times every day on the days after losing Gosling. No Gosling (so hopefully she did fly off with the other geese - they're migrating rn). No other geese either, on any of those days. Very unfortunate, because Ryan was lost without Gossy. He barely flew, just stuck very close to us. One day he did fly around, calling for her, eventually just circling back to us again. It broke our hearts.

So in the end we decided to bring him to a goose sanctuary that we have here in my country. So he's been there for a week now. Had to be quarantained for a bit, but he's been with the other single geese since last thursday. I called for an update on friday and he at least seemed fine, though they couldn't tell me anything yet about whether he actually could connect to the other geese. I'm allowed to call them regularly to get updates, and we can also visit the sanctuary (and check on him) every saturday, or on an appointment basis.

So generally speaking, probably best outcome for this situation. He's at least with other geese, which he was so desperate for since we lost Gosling. However, every time I think about it my heart still breaks a bit - because he didn't just want random geese, he wants to be with his family. And that's Gosling, and us. And now he has neither. So I feel super guilty for leaving him there by himself. But in the end we did think it was better for him to be with other geese, than to be with us. It's just - he's been ripped from all his family :( I hope he'll be alright.

We'll be checking on him in the coming weeks, but I don't think it'll be smart to actually call him and have contact with him - that might make it even harder for him to connect with the other geese again. However that also breaks my heart - he must feel so abandoned :(

Shoot. I was fine with just having the two of them here the whole winter. Alas, it wasn't meant to be...

Back
Top Bottom