1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do LF Cochins begin to lay?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NapsWithChickens, Sep 29, 2009.

1. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I've been scouring the internet to no avail... I have some cochin pullets that I think should be laying now... and aren't. Where can I find specific information about this breed?

Oh, and I have about the same questions re BLRWs, MF Leghorns, Ameracaunas (sp?), and BCMs.

Thanks O BYC Gurus!!! [​IMG]

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My standard Cochins starting laying at about 5 months old. Watch the comb color. When it turns bright red instead of pale, then they will be close to laying.
    I have BCMs that are almost 6 months old and they do not look even close to laying but I do not push them. I am happy to grow them up and out to see which hens will go well with whatever roos I don't put in the freezer.
    The Ameracuanas (I never spell it right either), muffed and tailed, will lay around 5-6 months old. Again, watch the comb. Wyandottes should be about the same but I do not own this color yet, though I am working on a deal!

3. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    My LF Cochins started laying when they were around 7 months old. They were hatched last August and started laying in March.

4. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    My LF Cochins are around 26 weeks and still no eggs. [​IMG]

5. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    A show Cochin that has been bred for exhibition may not lay until 8 or 9 months

6. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Wow ~ I had no idea that the hens took that long to develop. My 23 week old rooster just began crowing (he's such a stud! LOL) and I thought that the girls would be right behind him.

Thank you, all, for filling me in. [​IMG]

7. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Master S.M.C :

A show Cochin that has been bred for exhibition may not lay until 8 or 9 months

Bummer !!! and here I thought mine might be laying soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by