When Do Most Hens Go Broody

I have 6 month old hens and roosters, my roosters are always trying to mate my hens and I REALLY want baby chicks LOL when can I expect any to go broody? They all are in a coop and have a run but it also isn't fenced over the top so once they figure out how to fly out of the fence they then are free range and come back at night (my year and a half old ladies do that) my year olds have not yet went broody but are also red stars and I hear they rarely go broody!!
Are your birds from an online hatchery? If so that will effect the chance of broodiness. Most chickens from hatcheries have the broodiness bred out of them. I remember getting a couple of silkie hens from online, Had them for 5 years and not once did they go broody but... I wouldn't listen to me. This year we bought some laying breeds and three of them went broody their second laying season! Two Jersey Giants (Which arent commonly known to go broody) I named one 'Mama" She went broody twice and raised a clutch of 16 chicks, shes now raising 10 ducklings. Had a white rock go broody and hatch 2 out of 6 eggs, As soon as the two hatched she left the rest of the eggs so Mama took over and hatched the rest then gave them back to the original mom. So broody hens from hatcheries are possible but just not common

Oh no!!! Don't tell me that I got all my hens from a hatchery but 6 I got from my farm store (which probably came from hatcheries too)

I got an old English game hen from TSC. Not sure what hatchery she came from but she is barely 6 months old and has been broody for about 2 weeks.
I got my sexlinks from TSC how long imcan a hen be broody before it lays eggs and hatches them?

Chickens from hatcheries have just as much chance to go broody. It's natural for them. If I want a chicken or duck to go broody I either leave them a few eggs for a few days or put out some fakes. I remember Barred rocks and brahmas being the best brooders when I had them years ago. They'd try several times a year if we left an egg in the coop more than one day.

Back
Top Bottom