When do Pekins start hunting bugs and tadpoles?

Moreducksplease

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
Hi All!! I have 4 wonderful Pekin boys that are just about 8 weeks. They have food in their pen and they forage all day on the pond. The problem is they don't seem to catch anything in the pond. I can't watch them all day but they will swim next to lots of tadpoles and bugs will walk right into their pen and they seem clueless. Maybe cuz they are babies? I don't know. Are they just too young to know how to hunt? They seem to eat plenty of grass and surface stuff but they like the bugs we have found for them a LOT so I don't know. Anyone have same experience? TIA!!

Last edited:
I think Pekins are more lazy than other ducks when it comes to foraging
I've heard this too, but my pekins are vicious in running down anything they see in their pen that they think they can eat... If they can catch it. 🤣 Snakes, frogs, toads, bugs, etc. I got them when they were adults, though, so I'm not sure about when they're younger.

My two week old Pekins try to catch flies in the garage. So, their interest is up.
soooo jealous!!! mine don't seem interested in flies. One did eat a wolf spider and a few bugs but the bug has to basically be on a white background and move around for 5 minutes in front of all 4 of them before they notice it. They are really clueless!!

I've heard this too, but my pekins are vicious in running down anything they see in their pen that they think they can eat... If they can catch it. 🤣 Snakes, frogs, toads, bugs, etc. I got them when they were adults, though, so I'm not sure about when they're younger.
I hope mine get that way. Today on the pond they seemed to be a little more agressive in the muddy area. Maybe they will get it soon.

Have you tried dried mealworms?
yes, and they like those too but then they like anything served to them.😂 I would like them to forage for bugs. I am phobic about bugs and was hoping they would be more about eating bugs. I don't want to poison anything with bug spray. So was asking to see if maybe it is because they are just young. I have fed them bugs so they can acquire a taste and they seem to love them so far. Just hoping they will start hunting for them soon.🥳

Back
Top Bottom