When do pullets start getting pink combs and wattles?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 3littlechickies, Aug 7, 2013.

1. 3littlechickies

3littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    Castro Valley, CA
    HI! [​IMG]

I have three chicks, a buff orpington [​IMG], a barred rock [​IMG] and an ameracauna [​IMG] (probably an easter egger), who will be seven weeks old tomorrow. They all have small yellow combs. My buff orpington is just very slightly turning pink. I also noticed that my barred rock and buff orpington are starting to get there wattles. The wattles are very small though. Does this sound like pullets? Do ameracaunas or easter eggers get wattles? I am TERRIFIED [​IMG] that any of them might be boys! I can't have roosters where I live and I love them [​IMG] so much! Thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Are you able to upload good individual pictures of the birds?

I wish i could remember better when mine started having pinkish combs but birds mature at different rate. I have 2 same age BRs and one has a large red comb and wattles while the other has a very small comb and tiny wattles .[​IMG] And yes they are both pullets

3. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    IMO, it will be obvious in about a week who will be boys and who will be girls. Some of their comb/wattles may spring up overnight! I was sure I had a cockerel and a pullet, but when I went to take care of them the next morning, the "pullet" had much bigger and pinker comb and wattles that never existed [​IMG]! It was crazy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by