1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

When do roosters begin to crow??I NEED TO KNOW

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissyMoo, May 17, 2008.

1. MissyMoo

MissyMoo In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    When do roosters begin to crow?? we have a pullet who is a bantan cross (we are not sure exactley what kinds) and it is 4 months old andjust started crowing and we dont want a rooster!!!

2. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Songster

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    Guess he answered your question, for him,,,, about 4 months.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Your answer is: when they start.

As you've now learned, for your bantam it is at 4 months.

Crowing is obvious and soon makes the sex of the bird known. Now you know what youve got, at least. What you'll do about it is another matter, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2008
  4. domromer

domromer Songster

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    We had one that began crowing at around 2 weeks old. I'm told that's rare though.
    here a video of cinnamon at 3 weeks crowing his heart out.

5. debakadeb

debakadeb Songster

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Your cinnamon looks like my Ginger only his comb is much taller...still holding out hope that she is indeed a pullet [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Earliest I had was five DAYS and latest was 15 weeks, so pretty much anytime they feel the urge.

7. cluckychick

cluckychick Songster

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I got two. One is aprox. 15 weeks and the other is 8 weeks old and both started crowing at the same time [​IMG] One is a Polish the other some kinda bantam, lol.

8. newchickmom

newchickmom Songster

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have one that started at about 4 weeks [​IMG]

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Charlie (Silkie) has just started practicing his crow... if you can call it that! Pretty sad really [​IMG]

10. chickabator

chickabator Songster

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    well I have 3 that are 24 weeks old and have never crowed and then another that is 21 weeks old and has not crowed either. I also have 1 that came from the same hatch as the other 3 24 week old ones and he won't shut up!(lol) I thought they should have been crowing by now but they aren't

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: