When do roosters get mean?

catsew

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
At what age do roosters start getting mean? Will they all get mean or does it just depend on the individual?
We have 2 roosters that are 6 months old. For the longest time it was just the 2 of them and they are friendly enough. When we added the hens everyone said they would get mean. Now the hens have only been around a few weeks, but so far they're still nice. They come up and cuddle with you and let you pet them.

Usually if they are going to be mean it is when they are mature, or of breeding age. some do not turn mean though. Hope you get lucky with yours.

My two buddy roos got along quite well until a week and a half ago. They were almost a year old; then suddenly decided to try and kill each other.
sad.png
I've made sure to carry the remaining one around and all the other domination stuff posted on BYC. Oh well, they make wonderful stew.

That's WAY to many roosters for your hens. Even IF you managed to get them not to tear each other up, the would tear up your hens by over-mating them.
Select one that is both tolerant of you and shows the proper behavior to your hens. Get rid of the rest.

Ok I looked for the other thread you talked about but it did not come up. I have a mean rooster. I bought 10 little chicks a few days old. They were all supposed to be pullets but I ended up with 4 roosters and 5 hens since one little chick died. The rooster that is the lowest in the pecking order and always picked on has started getting very mean toward us when we come outside. After letting them out of a morning he will run up behind us and peck us. These chickens were bought 4-18-14 so they are about 4 months old. I am also worried about my hens not laying eggs because they are so stressed about all the roosters. Any help will be appreciated.
Get rid of the mean one and at least 2 of the others at a minimum. Or even get rid all of the males. Your pullets will be fine without one. Four cockerels for 5 pullets is just way too much testosterone and your whole flock will suffer for it.

I picked up a big beautiful EE rooster 7 months old the other day from dinahmoe here on byc. Brought him home and today finally let them range with my other birds..and my only other rooster a sweet never bother nobody OE bantam(who is 3 times smaller and 2 yrs old) walked right up and tried to put it on him. I was shocked! He had never ever acted that way, I was hoping it was just a hey this is my place type thing...but he was not wanting to leave it be, so I had to pen up my OE. To answer question...I have no clue. Poor fella I felt bad for him... I hate it when my hens act up and dont want them bullying each other either...but I guess its nature. Just not sure I can stomach the process of them getting the pecking order figured out.

They will become mean before they are mature if they become mean at all.

You will notice an increase of testosterone between the ages of 6 months to 1 year. After that they are less moody. Acquiring an older rooster is preferred to a young cockerel. I bought my first roo when he was a little over one. Not one ounce of meanness in him. He was not handled before I got him. He doesn't like to be picked up, or eat from my hand unless he is on the roost, and I put food in front of him.

My cockerel is 5 months old. I prefer not to hand feed him when I feed the girls, because he is quite rough when grabbing the food out of my hand. I will not handle him unless necessary until he is fully mature.

Thanks. So it sounds like it could be any day now. I'm also worried about the 2 fighting with each other. They're hatch mates, so I hope that helps. Only one of them crows, even though they both can, so maybe only the one will take over?

Back
Top Bottom