When do roosters start crowing?

They start crowing about 5-6 months old. When they begin to crow some of them sound like they have socks in their throat. It's quite funny to listen to. But when they get the full sound they crow when ever they want. But most of the time it's at daybreak and throughout the day. We had some recently and they were even crowing at 1-2 in the am.

It varies. I've had some start as early as 8-9 weeks old. My JG roo didn't start crowing until he was about 5-6 months old. I've heard some on here that have had roos start near or even before 6 weeks.

Oh wow thanks guys!Im only ordering some chickens from IDEAL poulty so there gonna add free males for warmth.If they start crowing at 5-6 months ill butcher them.I think it will be a decent sized bird right?

Quote:
We butchered ours between 16 and 24 weeks. The 16 week olds were the ones that started crowing at 8-9 weeks, wouldn't shut up and were MEAN! They were tasty (though a little small).
droolin.gif
(maybe meanness is a good chicken spice
hmm.png
) Most our excess roos were around 18-22 weeks though. The two 24 weeks olds were big! One was suppose to be our top roo, but he was a little too aggressive with the girls (one was tore open by his toenails...and he didn't even have spurs yet
ep.gif
). The other one was just a wimpy roo and we didn't need an extra roo to feed that wouldn't protect our girls.
sad.png
He was a sweetheart though.
hit.gif

My Leghorns, Andalusians and Minorca's are all crowing by 8 weeks and have it mastered within a day from non stop practice
smile.png
then I have a JG that is about 9 months that has never crowed another JG is nearly 5 months and crowing.My Delaware who is about 6 months also doesn't crow but my jr.Delaware is 3 months and thinking about it...
So each is different there is no magic number

My barred rock crowed yesterday for the first time. twice at 11:00am and twice at 5:00pm he sounded like an old pro. he is 18 wks

Back
Top Bottom