When do Roosters Start Crowing?

LBRNRS

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
I have 14 chicks that are 5 weeks old (and 10 that are 2 weeks old) ...... and one of them (a 5 week-er) started crowing the other day ...... its a very "baby like" crow ..... obviously doesn't have it down yet! LOL I'm so sad because its one of my Americana's (sp?) ...... So ..... if I have other roosters ..... when will I know by? Do they always start crowing by a certain age? Thanks for your time!

Not sure, I think its different ages for each chicken. Mine are all 9 weeks old come Monday and I have yet to hear any crows and I know I have at least 8 boys.

Mine crowed one time about eight weeks and discovered his lungs about nine weeks. Not what I was expecting. I posted a video in another thread if you want to hear. Its Cute.

I might be getting ready to go through the same thing. I have four lovely 5 week old buff orpingtons. I already think two might be cockerels. They have not tried to crow yet but I'm just waiting, lol.

I have a cockerel that's 17 weeks old that hasn't found his voice yet! It also depends if you have another rooster in the flock. Sometimes if you have 2 or more roosters in a flock there will only be one, the dominant one, that crows.

my cockrel that is a exchequer legorn (maybe mottled ancona) started crowing at 8 weeks, and another cockrel (rhode island red) purchased with him who is now 12 weeks still hasnt started crowing. . i guess it depends on how fast they develope

I have 2 Americaunas and 4 RIR, and I had a suspicion that one of the Americaunas was a cockerel. "Its" tail feathers stand more upright than all the others, and I saw what I thought to be spur "buds". Then yesterday morning I thought I heard a squeaky little baby attempt at a crow come from the pen. The thing is, they're only 6-7 weeks old, so I guess I'll be playing the waiting game for a little while!

Well, I have 6 chickens and one rooster for sure. They were born April 4 and I haven't heard any crowing yet. Now since I read this they will probably all start crowing tonight! HaHa

Back
Top Bottom