1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do roosters start growing spurs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by margali, Mar 28, 2012.

1. margali

margali Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    I have 5 chicks, all 2 weeks old. 2 are buff orphingtons and 3 are barred rocks. One of the barred rocks is acting a bit aggressive and hogging the perch in the brooder. The feathering is about the same on all 5 chicks.

When I was handling them today, I noticed that chick and one other one have little nubs about where the spurs are on my big rooster. The other 3 chicks just have a smooth spot there. Do barred rock hens get mini-spurs or are they roosters? They would not cooperate with picture taking.

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    All chickens have a little bump where the spurs grow, regardless of sex. Males will start to grow spurs anywhere from 5 months to a year, and some hens will grow them as well. For your Barred Rocks you could check out this link, because BR can be sexed by color or by the spot on their head. http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

3. Bekalynn

Bekalynn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    Mountains in california
    Is there a way to permanately remove my roosters spurs? My friend has chickens too and hers are bald because of the rooster. I dont want my hens like that.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You can remove the spurs. Just twist them off with a pair of pliers and put some quick stop or flour on to stop any bleeding. Keep the area clean so it doesn't get infected. I *think* they'll grow back though, so you'll have to repeat this process every once in a while. As long as your rooster to hen ratio is good (1:10 is the general rule of thumb) you hens should keep their feathers. I say should because its always possible to get an over amorous cockerel (they usually mellow out) or your rooster might pick a favorite girl and over breed her (you could get her an apron). Good luck :)

5. rocky 11

rocky 11 New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    I just got 2 roosters yesterday 1 is 6 months other is 4 months how much longer will it take for the 6 month rooster to get spurs

6. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Some get them faster than others. My silkies, for example, occasionally don't get noticeable spur growth until after they reach a year old. On the other hand, I have a Marans rooster who is a just over a year and already has almost 2 inch spurs. I'd say, normally, spur growth starts around six months and gradually continues growing. For several months, the spur will just be a blunt nub. They usually don't start getting ''sharp" and pointy until about a year.

1 person likes this.
  7. rocky 11

rocky 11 New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    Thanks.this is Rocky11 mom.he love this website and lives learning more about chickens. He a good kid and glad we found this site.

8. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    No need to be rude.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by