When do roosters start to crow?

I love watching and hearing little cockerels trying to learn to crow. They are sometimes so funny! I should have it to look forward to soon ... I've got several too many boys out there.

I used to have a little Banty hen that would sneak away and hide her nest, and come back with her chicks. But she always kept them out of the coop, taught them to forage, and they'd end up half-wild. She was prolific too, always hatching 15-16. Somehow a high percentage of boys too. And the darn things liked to roost in the tree outside the window. I'd have dozens of tiny feral roosters crowing outside my bedroom window anytime something disturbed them at night. A pretty good alarm system, but I did fantasize about going out there with a shotgun more than once (never did of course). I couldn't even catch many of them to sell or give them away.

I would say around 8-9 weeks is when my cockerels started crowing. They don't crow at the crack of dawn, however, like they are portrayed. Mine crow at around 11 am (Eastern Time), and randomly throughout the day.

Last edited:
I ended up with a Barnevelder cockerel in my April pullet shipment from Meyer. They are now 10 weeks old and I filed for a refund on him last night. Got the response today. Yep they were able to tell from the pictures that he is a cockerel. I knew it at 3 weeks! Bigger comb than the other Barnevelder, getting red, noticeably bigger legs, REALLY slow to feather. His comb and wattles now rival those of my laying hens. He still doesn't have much of a tail and hasn't yet started trying to crow.
DSCN0645.jpg

I love watching and hearing little cockerels trying to learn to crow. They are sometimes so funny! I should have it to look forward to soon ... I've got several too many boys out there.

I used to have a little Banty hen that would sneak away and hide her nest, and come back with her chicks. But she always kept them out of the coop, taught them to forage, and they'd end up half-wild. She was prolific too, always hatching 15-16. Somehow a high percentage of boys too. And the darn things liked to roost in the tree outside the window. I'd have dozens of tiny feral roosters crowing outside my bedroom window anytime something disturbed them at night. A pretty good alarm system, but I did fantasize about going out there with a shotgun more than once (never did of course). I couldn't even catch many of them to sell or give them away.
LOL!

Hi It has been such a long time since I have owned chickens. I was just a kid then. I finally got some chicks. I was hoping to just have pullets, but I did get some straight run. So there is definitely possibility that I got some roos. I am on a 2 acre lot and we can keep chickens as long as our neighbors are okay. I don't want to have to deal with that if I don't need to. So my question is, at what age will roos start crowing? It always seemed like it was right before they were full grown. But I keep seeing here and there posts of as early as 3 weeks. Is that really possible?
I have a Brahma that started trying to crow at 8 weeks and then my sebright started at 11 weeks they didn't have any older ones around to teach them so I think that's why they started later.

I have too many roosters.
One of which started crowing as early as 5 weeks old, where as three others have been so quiet at close to four months old.
My Bantam roosters do this crow off at 5am every morning, its a tit for tat who can row the loudest and longest. Gets frustrating when I have a rough time falling asleep until early ours of the morning.
I am also still finding roosters who shoot up over night. Those boys are heading to a forever rooster home to a local couple. Cannot have 8 roosters crowing on my 2 acre lot. It would drive me insane

Back
Top Bottom