When do the chicks live out side?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katechicken, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Katechicken

Katechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    I have brought my chicks on little outings ( Front and back yard) and they are getting their feathers in ( I am so proud of them!!) but when do they live in their coop full time?
    They are about three weeks old now ( a week old when we got them) and so grown up!
    Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It depends -- where you live, your temps, your setup, etc. Mine grow up in the coop from day one, either under a broody or with a heat lamp. I have some now that hatched the first week of May. When they were 3 weeks old they were sleeping about four feet away from the heat lamp, as far as they could get from it, even though lows were still dipping to around 70 or less, so I turned it off. They are thriving. Yours are no doubt more acclimated to outdoor temps because you have been getting them outdoors during the day.

3. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Mine were in the house just over 13 weeks and I can tell you that was way too long!! I love having them so close but they are darn dusty.... very glad the hub finally finished the coop :)

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I put mine outside in a covered pen at 2 weeks, and they've been doing great, except for a bout with Cocci. I medicated them on Sulmet for the 6 days recommended on the bottle, and they've been on a medicated feed (I was feeding them non-medicated). I have 17, so there was no way I could've kept them in the cage I was using as a brooder for longer than 3 weeks (well, if they'd all been bantams, I probably could've, something to think of when I do an all bantam order). They're all running around pecking, dusting, scratching, and it's plenty warm where I'm at for them to stay outside with no problems. For the first week they were outside, I did cover their sleeping cage with towels to keep them warmer, but I don't do it now, and they seem perfectly happy with the situation.

5. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    My chicks are 5 weeks old today. I have been taking them outside for short periods of time for about 10 days. 2 days ago I took them out about 8:30 pm for the night. Today is the first day Ive left them outside ALL day. Its 104` here in TX today. I have a small fan on their pen, a wet rug on top of the pen and I wet down the ground every hour or so. So far so good. So I guess they are now outside chicks until they get big enough to turn loose in the coop. In a week or two I plan to put their pen out in the coop at night to let the 5 old hens adjust to the new chicks. My 3 yr old hens free range in my back yard during the day in the summer, cooler weather I make them stay out in the fenced garden out by their coop.

pam in the Broiling TX heat

6. dawnrae

dawnrae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Quote:Agreed! We are in the Buffalo, NY area and our 4 girls went out 2 days ago (bc that's when our coop was finished not bc of the weather) and today they are 10 weeks. I didn't think I had allergies but the dust/dander was getting to be unbearable on my eyes and sinuses and I dusted/vacuumed almost daily. Next time we get chicks we'll DEFINITELY buy an air filter to keep near the brooder.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. laurabonitahopkins

laurabonitahopkins Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    My chicks are 2 weeks old today, and I'm already thinking about putting them outside, at least during the day. They are fast outgrowing their brooder and I don't want them to start pecking at each other because they are too crowded. It is still only in the 60's at night here (Colorado), but I figure they can at least spend their days in the roomier run!

8. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Mine went out last Friday at 6.5 weeks. They were ready; we were ready. But I have several breeds, and the RIR are having the hardest adjustment time. They are the last to settle down and often disrupt all the others as they try to muzzle in between two chicks. Everyone else is doing great.

Edited to add, like itsmechrissy, finishing our coop dictated the move date [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  9. Katechicken

Katechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    I think I will bring mine out at the end of July, as it is coldish here. Thank you all for your stories they are much appreciated!

10. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I was wondering if when we sit out side we can have the chicks out to, I have a round pen its a ferret play pen , and i was thinking of putting them out there for a hour or so each day. My chicks will be here monday am.. and i was thinking about doing this after a few days, would that be ok? thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by