1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do their legs....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Farmer Kitty, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    stop getting thicker down by their feet? I'm wanting to put the perminate bands on some of my adolescents but, I don't want to do it to soon and have them out grow them.

2. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Anyone have any idea?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Interesting question. I use the zip ties & just cut them off & replace them; usually need to do it twice. If you wait until they stop growing, will you still know who is who? I'd think you'd be pretty safe to do it around 24 weeks?

4. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm using yarn until they growup. I did their parents at about 18 weeks and didn't need to redo them. I haven't had to redo the yarn in a few weeks so I'm kind of hoping I can put the permanate ones on before I introduce them into the coop.

They're permanant ones will be zip ties. One color for the year and one for their individual ID.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Check with your local feed store. Or fairgrounds. One of our girls has a permanent band on and it's loose around her leg. Doesn't seem to bother her at all.

6. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Not looking for a permanent band-I will be using zip ties but, I'm wondering when it will be safe to put one on. But, thankyou for the suggestion-it may help others who read the thread. [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I started banding my pullets when they stated laying around 16 -17 weeks old. I have no more than 8 in one breed/coop so I can use different colored zip ties. It was hard to use on the Cochins but the Araucanas have done well and they haven't needed changing in the few months I have had them on.
    It helps me keep up with who is laying and I keep it recorded in a book. If I see who lays all the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by