When do they stand?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NSChickenMamma, Feb 27, 2013.

1. NSChickenMamma

NSChickenMamma Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    How long after the hatch does it normally take for the chick to stand up?

The one that I helped out 2 days ago is still not standing up yet.

[​IMG]

2. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    Usually it just takes a few hours for them to wobble around and start walking normally. I've never had one take 2 days.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Personally, I don't care to "help" chicks out of their shell. I breed and hatch for vigor, so they need to be able to jump out of the shell by itself.

You'll probably hatch to hydrate that chick, using a dropper. And quickly.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It also may have splayed leg so unable to stand. Do a search on that to determine if that is the problem. Basically chicks legs get oriented through the process of pushing themselves out of the shell. To correct splayed leg you use something like a band aid to make mini leg shackles. Keeping the legs the proper distance apart yet allowing the chick to stand and walk.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I found a thread with a photo of treatment so you get the idea I mean by leg shackles.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/665314/splayed-leg

And Fred's right on about needing to get water into the chick, try some sugar in the water to help perk it up and hopefully it will be able to stand and feed with the leg support.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. NSChickenMamma

NSChickenMamma Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Thanks for the info, will evaluate things tonight when I get home.

Didn't really want to help it out, but these are my 12 year old daughters and she really wanted to help it as it was struggling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by