When do we move them outside?

Snubbie

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 13, 2014
Western NC
Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find a thread specifically addressing this question. My 8 yo daughter has raised 6 chicks in an improvised pen in the garage. They are now 6 weeks old, about 9-10" tall and appear fully fledged and healthy. I've built a 5' x 14' pen with attached coop in the backyard. It is constructed of 14 gauge 2x4 welded wire attached to a frame built of 2x4's. The perimeter is buried and the top is also covered.
I feel reasonably confident this is a safe and secure enclosure.
My question is, when can we move them out? The garage is unheated but obviously warmer than outside. We may have a couple nights left with temps down in the 30's though I feel we're mostly past that. I have no means to heat at the coop if we have a cold snap.
Is it too early to send them out?

Edit: Oops, looks like SH83 and I posted the same question at the same time. I didn't see his post before posting this.

Last edited:
I would put them out. I raised my week old chicks outside in a coop with 100 watt light. They are about 6 weeks old now and doing great. Temps around here are cold again so I turned the flood light back on again at night but they don't seem to be staying under it.

mine just turned 4 weeks on this batch and I took the light off 2 days ago...garage is about 62-65 degrees. and as soon as I can drag my coop over there going out this weekend..temps will be in 60's next week and 40's for low...but will have a box for them to cuddle in..my brodder is 8x9 and they seem to grow faster with large brooder.as before I used small ones and they are much more active and fly earlier with large brooder....jeff

Mine went out at 5 weeks this spring! They're doing great now at 7 weeks fully feathered. If yours are fully feathered, I think it's safe to put them out. They will pile up if they're cold, so just check on them the first few nights since piling can kill chicks. If you can teach them to roost, it will help a lot with the piling, and it will also ensure that they keep their toes warm at night, in their feathers, and off the cold ground.

Well today (Saturday) was cold and rainy. I was afraid they'd get wet and chilled, or at least, it would be damp out. I didn't want that to be their first day and night so I left them in one more night. I'll try to get them out on Easter morning! It's supposed to be sunny and warm tomorrow.
Happy Easter and thanks for the replies.

Well today (Saturday) was cold and rainy. I was afraid they'd get wet and chilled, or at least, it would be damp out. I didn't want that to be their first day and night so I left them in one more night. I'll try to get them out on Easter morning! It's supposed to be sunny and warm tomorrow.
Happy Easter and thanks for the replies.

good call, I agree it'd be better to let them out in the sun than the rain :) what a fun Easter day!!
woot.gif

Ha Ha! I probably would have waited too. I put my girls out in the coop during a sunny day. However, today I let them out and they ran around until the rain started. They ran and found cover under some huge rhubarb leaves that I have in the garden. When it slowed down, they resumed their semi-free ranging. I was concerned about them when they heavy rain started. Silly me! I did realize that they need to become Oregon chickens. We have alot of rain and weird weather. They do need to learn.

I admit. I am still using a heat lamp in the coop at night. In the weather report we are supposed to be at 37 tonight. They are still so small. I can't help it. I'm a sap!

Well we got them moved out this past weekend. They seemed very happy. My daughter took great sport in hunting for worms then throwing them in and watching one chicken pick it up and the chase that followed. They've done fine the past two nights. The first night I collected them up at dusk and put them in the coop. Last night I came out after dark and they were all inside so I just closed the door.
I think they're going to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom