1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do we stop feeding ChickStarter and switch to regular feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JudithKerlin, Nov 21, 2013.

1. JudithKerlin

JudithKerlin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    I read the wonderful thread by the professor raising a porch flock of games and was startled to learn that some of his chicks died from eating scratch grains scattered for the adults-- the corn, I believe it was, tore up their tiny gastrointestinal tracts. No scratch-grains for my juveniles till I find out how old they should be before they get switched from baby food!

Just mixed a bag of lay-pellets with a bunch of better stuff from the bulk section-- oats, barley, wheats, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, etc etc-- but how old should my five home-hatched chickens be when I move them to adult feed?

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    The back of the feed bag (like nutrena) has all of that information

3. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    I believe last time I looked on the back of a bag of Dumor it was (with chickens) 16-18 weeks. Which seems a bit old to me, I typically start mixing chick starter with layer pellets around 14 weeks (if I'm not butchering them). If I am butchering them I try to feed them out completely with chick starter so they get enough protein. Hope this helps.

4. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    You can also switch them to a grower finisher until they start laying because the calcium and protein is different in layer feed and could potentially hurt the chicks

I feed chicks starter until they are about 8-10 weeks old and that is when I switch them to a grower/finisher

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by