When do you DISPATCH

Hedgeland Farms

Crowing
May 5, 2022
Southern Illinois
So, I had a rooster (Johnny) who needed to be dispatched. I was willing to do it the first day, hubby wanted to wait a wk so I nursed him (or tried to for a wk)

In the end, he still needed dispatched.

I had a CCL her name was Loretta. It is believed she was internally laying and she passed due to her issues. BUT again, hubby wanted me to try to nurse her back to health. In the end...same result...only she suffered for a wk.

I tell my husband he needs to let me raise livestock vs. pets. (He doesn't even like the chickens, but has huge respect for a living life in general)

So my question is...

When do YOU dispatch??
What is the criteria (if any) that you follow to help you come to that conclusion?

In being responsible for their well being, sometimes that means dispatching for their own good, but also the good of my flock.

I will try to help an injured bird, but sick/ unable to recover individuals, not. Last week we had a hen who had an egg broken inside, not managable IMO, and I euthanized her the third day, should have acted sooner. It's hard to do, but necessary.
Either go all out, veterinary visits, meds, surgery, whatever, or stop sooner. And hens with peritonitis are disasters, surgery is really difficult, and seldom successful.
By the time a chicken 'acts sick', it's really sick, and can't hide it any more.
Mary

I will try to help an injured bird, but sick/ unable to recover individuals, not. Last week we had a hen who had an egg broken inside, not managable IMO, and I euthanized her the third day, should have acted sooner. It's hard to do, but necessary.
Either go all out, veterinary visits, meds, surgery, whatever, or stop sooner. And hens with peritonitis are disasters, surgery is really difficult, and seldom successful.
By the time a chicken 'acts sick', it's really sick, and can't hide it any more.
Mary
That's where I am at. A fixable injury will get fixed (bumble foot, frost bite, things as such)

But if it is sick, I wanna put it down. My husband thinks everything will recover, and that would be nice...but not reality

Eta...I am sorry abt your hen

Folly has given perfect advice, in my opinion.

My husband also gets upset when I have to dispatch anyone. However.... he never complains when they are on the table 😳😉

In the past, I would try to nurse back to health. Too many suffered needlessly because of it, so now I’m pretty quick to dispatch. A sick bird, for sure. Also any one with ascites. And injured bird… that would depend on the extent of the injuries.
I hate the suffering part....
It's always tough to make the call....

But I always go with my gut...

Back
Top Bottom